South Street area Condos and Townhomes

Has there been any renderings of the Cityspace brownstones?

1 Like

There are some in the site review pdf but that’s pretty old and they didn’t look like brownstones at all.

Apparently the self storage place is getting some ground floor retail… a mini-mart LOL

from www.itbinsider.com

"Our friend Dan Meyer recently shared a photo on Twitter showing a banner advertising a new Mini-Mart coming to South Street in what looked to be the Extra Space Storage Building.

An ABC Inspection Permit – typically one of the final bureaucratic hurdles a business owner is required to jump through if they intend on selling booze to the public – was issued for the space last week. While this isn’t definitive proof that the new South Street Mini-Mart will be open by, say, the end of the month, we’d say it’s still a pretty safe bet.

Renovations had begun on the space back in February after US Structures Corp received a permit valued at just under $75,000 for the interior alteration for a new convenience store."

3 Likes

Yeah there are no convenience stores anywhere in South “downtown” Raleigh. It’s going to be a welcome addition. There was supposed to be a bakery going in next door as well but that fell through bc the fitout was too expensive.

2 Likes

I think that Raleigh could use more neighborhood mini-marts and such. For me, they are a sign of a healthy neighborhood.

5 Likes

Totally. I’m surprised there aren’t more in Boylan/Oakwood etc. I think they’ll start to pop up more as downtown as a whole grows and becomes less car dependent.

I want more of the bodega style ones that include a grill for take away breakfast, lunch and dinner.

5 Likes

There used to be a mini mart located very close to this new location where the second phase of townhouses are currently being built. Neighbors affectionately referred to it as the Murder Mart. We made the mistake once of buying ice cream there. Should’ve just stuck to Old English, but we just had to get all fancy and paid the price.

5 Likes

OMG, what a great story. That made my night!

We also made the mistake of buying milk there. Moral of the story: don’t buy dairy products at the Murder Mart!

I hope the new mini mart will have a better dairy product turnover rate! And maybe a nicer selection than every 40 you can think of, energy drinks, and tobacco products.

You have to figure that the business is going to sell what their customer wants in order to stay open. If you want them to stock things you like, buy the things you like from them to demonstrate that there’s a market for it. Encourage your neighbors to do the same.

3 Likes

The neighborhood has changed a lot since the original Murder Mart opened. It catered to what the neighborhood used to be, and I think they made a lot more money from booze and tobacco than milk and ice cream, so they didn’t care about those things. You can try to change an existing business, but it’s not as easy as it may seem.

If you buy milk at a place once and it’s spoiled despite a good sell by date, and give them a second chance by buying ice cream that (once brought home and opened) had clearly melted and refroze before it was sold, you’re probably not going back to that store for those items! And so the cycle continues.

1 Like

Now you have a fresh start with a new business. Don’t waste this opportunity!

2 Likes

Heh, I was just there today. Interesting fact, this place has been open a year and they are only about 25% occupied. This is a pretty big company, but this place is just burning cash. I guarantee they are not profiting at this point.

2 Likes

And they’re really affordable units. We have one there and moved from a POS unit several miles east and saved money.

Deb - wasn’t someone truly killed at the so-called murder mart maybe early 2000’s?

I used to ask my wife not to travel through that area by herself back then. Amazing how it’s changed.

It’s possible. I didn’t live in the area at that time, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

@Tenkai, we’re definitely hoping for the opportunity! I think everyone who lives nearby would support a reliable spot to pick up essentials.

3 Likes

If you ever want a deja vu check out the mart on Bragg St in South Park. Staggering change from block to block in that area with Bragg St between S Bloodworth and Garner arguably the roughest part ITB

Someone was killed at South and Saunders perhaps 10 years ago. I remember vividly because I had walked home through the intersection perhaps an hour or two before it happened and it wigged me out a little.

Boring but a snapshot of “progress”.

10 Likes