South Street area Condos and Townhomes

Man I really love how Dorothea Gardens looks/feels. We need more of this in DT periphery

8 Likes

Great shots. Anyone know the latest on this?

Still in zoning, I think, and the “pit” remains a menace to the neighborhood.
They switched this from apartments to condos apparently but I don’t believe there is any sort of pre-sale going on. At this point I wonder if they’re just squatting on the land and going to try and flip it down the road.

My understanding is that the city is requiring them to install a massively expensive stormwater system on site. It’s likely that that aspect of the project is now in the planning/permitting stage. All signs point to the Fall for any kind of activity on the structure. But that’s what we all thought this time last year. And maybe the year before?..

2 Likes

There is an existing culvert on the property that needs repair/upgrade. Lenoir Street Park floods periodically when this culvert becomes clogged. I’m sure the years of part of this property being a car junkyard didn’t help with environmental issues.

These were known conditions of the sale, and the realtor working with the developer used to live in Rosengarten Park and knew the issues going into it.

3 Likes

Since it’s going to be condos, one has to wonder if they’d rather see more of the Fairweather sold, or sold out, before putting their own project on the market? Checking on the Fairweather site, they still have 16 units for sale.
I’ll tell you, I don’t know who’s going to be buying those “inside the elbo” units with two of the three bedrooms + the den not having a window.

5 Likes

Are bedrooms with out windows even allowed under building code?
I was under impression that all bedrooms had to have 2 escape routes in case of fire.

1 Like

There is precedence for bedrooms without windows in a lot of projects downtown, but I am not sure how the city actually classifies those rooms. I do remember hearing that having the units and those rooms sprinklered was a concession for bedroom occupancy, but I can’t give you details.
Frankly, I avoided buildings with lots of windowless bedroom units when I bought, because I worried about the resale of those units and the subsequent comp. price to my condo’s value. I don’t know that there’s any data that would support this concern, but I still made my decision that way.
I just felt like long term investment would be better if every bedroom had a window & every unit had outdoor living space.

1 Like

When I took drafting in high school a properly classified bedroom had to have 6% of its floor area as window, and half of that window had to be openable. Not sure about condos or changes since 1990 but thought I’d throw that out there nonetheless.

1 Like

Oh, I know. Believe me, I know.
In some cases, these rooms are marketed as a Den or Office, but these plans are clearly marketing them as bedrooms, as have other projects in recent history. Clearly something has been “worked out”, but I still wouldn’t personally buy a condo with windowless bedrooms.

1 Like

Same. And not just that, but I want windows on two sides and preferably SW exposure which corresponds with my favorite late afternoon couch nap time on weekends.

3 Likes

Two windows for sure. Luckily I’ve got 5 on three of the walls. Makes furniture placement difficult, but the lights is so awesome.

2 Likes

This is interesting. In our condo building, there are “one bedroom” units with no window and “three bedroom” where one “bedroom” doesn’t have a window. I have a two bedroom unit plus a den (no window or door in the den but a closet). I like the windowless den and it serves nicely as a guest room (add airbed) every blue moon, but would never consider it a bedroom.

1 Like

I think our unit is similar to yours, @R-Dub except the den is a bedroom with closet/door (no windows).

I would be okay with a windowless den. In fact, when working from home and trying to manage video calls, I’d rather not have a window so that I can control the lighting. I’d totally buy a 1 or 2 bedroom plus a windowless den. :+1:t3:

3 Likes

More townhomes! Southeast corner of Lenoir and West St.

5 Likes

I like these. Could this be one of Raleigh’s “Brownstone” Districts with the more they put in in that area?

2 Likes

They look pretty darn decent. Classical with nice brick. Will certainly enhance the area.

12 Likes

Why do developers insist on different (usually cheaper) materials for the top floor?

2 Likes

Wait, so this is what’s going in place of the BBQ place? Also makes sense why Transporter Werks is moving. I’d prefer my Bug restoration stay where it is and have a BBQ place across the street but I’m good with neighbors, too.