South Street area Condos and Townhomes

Okay I lied I do know. If you type enough punctuation marks in a row, like 12 exclamation points, The text editor automatically shortens it to three

10 Likes

Amazing!!!

2 Likes

Brilliant…………………!!!

Periods don’t count!!!

Park City South moving to permitting .

17 Likes

Saw online that their construction is wrapping up next week and they’re looking at an early October opening.

10 Likes

Not sure if this is the right board for The Lynde? Just recently met someone who said they just received their earnest money back this week and that the project is dead. The land will go up for sale as “ready to build lot”.

Better than pre-sale purgatory. Next man up

4 Likes

Never liked that project. Doesn’t hurt me one bit.

3 Likes

Listings are gone from Zillow now too. They were up a few days ago. Site is still up and running though.

I agree, next man up with this one with all the Dix development in the works. I think I read Atlas Stark amassed some land right near here and was pushing for 20 stories too?

Also, since we just sold our house recently, we had our eyes on some of these Chappell Res. developments as comps and you wonder how they flopped on this one when all their other developments seem to sell out? Looked at their website and stuff like 615 Peace, The Stephenson, Oak City Overlook, etc. all sold out or are selling fast.

This project always seemed sketch to me. It went through a ton of iterations and they kept talking about how close they were the groundbreaking. All talk.

I think I remember that they hit unsuitable soils (underground stream?) And that big culvert got put in- not sure if that was on the developer or city. Seems like the pro forma got jacked up. Probably paid too much for the land, had unforseen earth work costs, then tried to make up for it with overpriced, undersized stick built condos…and ultimately it’s dead. This lot should be rezoned for mixed use and possibly subdivided into smaller pieces to encourage pre-war type development.

3 Likes

If they overpaid for the land, that means they’ll have to sell it at a mint, and then whoever buys it at that price is gonna have to probably upzone and upscale the plans to make back ROI. Sounds like a win-win for Raleigh, to me!

4 Likes

I find the entire saga interesting because Johnny Chappell lived a block away from this site for several years when he presumably pitched it to Lambert for redevelopment (one of his first projects). The site clearly had costly environmental and infrastructure issues that should have been obvious to anyone who was remotely familiar with it’s history, so I’m not sure how the ball was dropped on this.

2 Likes

Yeah it does seem interesting, especially considering all the environmental stuff @evan.j.bost just laid out you thought anyone would have done their homework and knew what to expect. I’m not exactly sure what would be best on this lot. Maybe something to compliment the new Hartwell business in some way? Apartments? Townhomes? Who knows but it’ll be interesting to see what comes of this lot.

1 Like

I just drove by and saw 4 trucks in the field (or as we like to call it – the Pit).

1 Like

Noticed that much of this area is included within the forthcoming TOD overlay map:

More context and upcoming hearings over in this transit thread: The Future of transit in Raleigh - #1193 by paytonc

10 Likes

Ok, that last post was a false start and ended up being parking. I think we’re finally going to see this project kick off! Earth movers, porta potty, a storage container and barrier material is onsite now.

11 Likes

@OakCityDylan I am surprised it took you so long to find this lol (equipment has been out there since Wednesday).

1 Like