South Street area Condos and Townhomes

Some movement on 601 W South St…

22 Likes

It’s zoned 3-story mixed use. Given that, for-sale townhouses are by far the most marketable way to divide up that buildable square footage… townhouse buyers are willing to pay a lot more than apartment renters, and a condo only makes sense if it’s a bigger building. Now that the TOD overlay is law, it could’ve been 5-story multifamily (and rental/condo might’ve made sense), but that wasn’t in the cards then.

Re: the brick color, NC red clay results in red/orange/brown bricks. Just as it’s tough to dye dark hair to a lighter color, it’s tough to make red bricks into white. So the bricks on this project are red, but dusted with white on the outside.

9 Likes

City View Townhouses are rocking and rolling with activity today.

33 Likes

This Lenoir Street duplex is coming along. Because it is beside three story townhomes on one side, it seems to fit in fairly well. Kudos to the developer for maximizing this parcel.

26 Likes

Eight townhomes in the City View Townes at Lenoir and West - ONLY TWO LEFT. The ones under contract should close in the next month or so. I am a little surprised that they have sold so quickly. I would say there is demand for for-sale units in downtown. At least in the Wild West End. I did a walk through during the open house today. They do have really nice finishes and an elevator. But the price tag is pricey.

21 Likes

We are headed towards the finish line. New neighbors should be arriving soon. The landscaping is done and they finished the final portion of the sidewalk on Friday. Here is what the finished product looks like (Lenior Street side shown)

32 Likes

0.85 acre site of 5 plots up for sale at 726 S Saunders St for ~$2 million

approved plans from 5+ years ago allow for 10 townhomes. Listing also mentions that rezoning to 7 floors would be reasonable and could allow for up to 32 condos.

From the current listing:

And from the plans from 2017…

21 Likes

The concept renderings look like they were designed by their neighbors (Raleigh Architecture).

1 Like

That top design looks incredible

1 Like

They’re both really nice imo!

The top in kind of a Death Star adjacent style and the bottom in a more classic way.

2 Likes

No way the first one is by Raleigh Architecture co. – it’s fine but much too clumsy and amateurish.
It’s also the kind of study that I can take one look at and predict that the final product would look nothing like the rendering.

2 Likes

I personally like the 2017 plans more than the most recent plan, classic over modern any day.

6 Likes

At 32 units and $2M is $62,500 a unit for land cost alone.

3 Likes

And that’s speculative, given that a rezoning involves a legal bill of easily $100K with no certainty of passing.
The Saunders side is -TOD and the rest is eligible for FTDO, so it’s possible to do 3 (FTDO) or 5 (TOD) story multifamily by right. But as I mentioned, townhouses are easier and more lucrative.

4 Likes

This assembly also includes a creek and the proposed greenway path that I guess is entirely off the table now. Managing that creek is going to be an issue. I’ll bet that we see 2030 before there’s any real action on this site.

Edit - it’s the Rosengarten Greenway. All I could think of was Hohenzollern and I knew that wasn’t right…

1 Like

The only thing missing on this duplex to make this SUPER ugly is the seafoam green paint…and WTH are they doing to the roof???

4 Likes

Shade structure w/ PVs would be a solid guess…

3 Likes

That does look like it’s going to be a pretty awesome roof deck

10 Likes

I don’t hate this :man_shrugging: :+1:

7 Likes

Have you seen the many rooflines on the new house next to Lenoir Street Park? I think that house has almost every possible roofline imaginable. This one is simplistic in comparison. :laughing:

I’m curious to see what kind of railing they put on the duplex rooftop. Those walls look pretty low from this angle.

1 Like