South Street area Condos and Townhomes

Yep looks like a roof deck, been in a bunch of houses with those. Doesn’t look great from above, but from street level you won’t notice it. Both units should have half the roof as a deck. Haven’t seen one with a shade structure though.

5 Likes

They are solar panels - pretty interesting how they did it, as they’re attached to the actual structure versus being built on top of a roof deck, making maintenance much easier…

17 Likes

I had a feeling that’s what they were going to do :sunny: (I hate autocorrect)

Welcome @PhilDTR
glad you have joined us!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, @PhilDTR !

Not a complaint really but I wonder why they didn’t plant, or have to plant, street trees here? :thinking:

Photo lifted from: Imprint Award Winners - State of Downtown 2023 | Downtown Raleigh, NC

15 Likes

Come on, these are good enough. They’ll provide a bunch of shade in 50-100 years… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

They are four for four not these units too. Four more for sale that haven’t budged. And slow go for the ones that sold having move-ins. It’s been a weird project. But it looks nice (minus the tree scape) and adds some variety in housing to the neighborhood.

I was wondering the same. Could be a mistake based on how many things over on Cabarrus had to be redone after the first pass, including an obvious water main leak that was repaired after the new asphalt was put down. :woman_facepalming:t2:

In this case, the spaces for street trees were sectioned of from the rest of the sidewalk, but then they were also filled with concrete.

They are in the same place as the ones that weren’t planted along Capital Blvd when it was redone…in your imagination.

:eyes: Rezoning upcoming for Raleigh Architecture Co land at 716/718 S Saunders.

:arrow_right: RX-7-UL w/ TOD

16 Likes

7 stories would be killer here!

2 Likes

I am really interested to see what is going to happen on these two parcels. This is right beside the failed never built Lynde condo site. It would be nice to see some activity that direction. And it is to be expected given what is going on a few blocks south.

4 Likes

This entire section of S. Saunders from South St to Wheeler is going to be redeveloped and activated in due time. I suspect with the development bookending this segment it’s going to happen sooner rather than later. I’m really surprised to see the former Lynde site still struggling to find a purpose. Totally agree with you, @svp!

7 Likes

Per the city this was due to the timing of the project completion and when you are supposed to plant trees (Oct-Apr), and that the developer decided to fill in the sidewalk instead of leaving holes with barriers. Supposedly they are still planting them.

Don’t know if this is actually accurate, but it’s my understanding of the situation.

6 Likes

Also, for those of you who don’t know… trees reduce crime (per Raleigh). See that and other benefits in the link below.

https://raleighnc.gov/parks/services/urban-forestry-program/tree-planting#:~:text=The%20best%20time%20to%20plant,second%20best%20time%20is%20today!&text=Each%20year%20the%20City%20oversees,October%201%20to%20April%2030.

4 Likes

I spy likely condos over offices…?

3 Likes

I mean, only when there’s a windstorm or an ice storm is a tree likely to commit murder.

Raleigh’s city forester…is not very good. I don’t know the person. Perhaps we don’t actually have one. But urban forestry here is handled very poorly. Species selection needs a total overhaul, and ALL of the work done along greenways ITB in the last few years has been to the detriment of the greenways and the surrounding forest canopy and wetland ecosystems. Bad-selection and bad-timing cutting essentially destroyed the wetland behind the prison on the Walnut Creek Trail in 2021 and it still hasn’t recovered.
This rant is just to say, if we have wait for the street trees for a better urban forester, then that’s fine.

Completely uniformed question: Can’t even a relatively thoughtless forester plant oak trees along streets where possible and plane trees (or some other “standard” urban street tree) where there’s less space?

1 Like