State Government

@pBeez - your comment on being super stoked about the N&O lot in the Acorn thread inspired this:

I’m honestly incredibly excited about the new state building flanking the legislature. Even if they end up being just relatively blank office buildings, those huge parking lots are a blight on Raleigh feeling truly urban. For a recent comp - here’s the new University of Texas System HQ in Austin:

And if the state gov’t has any imagination (lol), they could really do something cool.

6 Likes

No It’s needs to be downtown.

i lived in reno nvand while they had a federal courthouse about 2 blocks outside of downtown they had another federal building about 4 or 5 blocks outside of downtown near riverside apartments. it seemed to work ok.

@Tenkai here you go

characterssssssss

1 Like

Why do I feel like this is the first time I’m hearing about plans to demo the Bath Building?

/goes back under the rock

It’s in the big new state government bill that also involves tearing down the Jones Building and building on a couple of the huge state parking lots. I’ll dig up the post related to it.

6 Likes

University of Texas has an insane amount of money. They own some extremely profitable oil fields, and thanks to that, have over $30 billion in the bank. They can afford to build WTF ever they want. So don’t expect a gleaming crystal palace like that here in NC. Just warning ya.

1 Like

That why there not happy with being the seventh largest college football stadium in the nation these always upgrading.

Oh I know, I’m a UT fan. Who is having a very very good day :wink:

Saw these renderings on the LS3P (architect) website for the NC History Museum expansion. No clue if active, conceptual, or what.

This major addition and renovation project for the North Carolina Museum of History will feature expanded program and exhibit space for visitors while re-shaping downtown Raleigh’s urban fabric. The three-story, 183,250 SF addition will occupy an adjacent site connected by pedestrian bridge to the existing building. The building will house gallery space, educational facilities, conference space, restaurant, and exterior program space in a park-like setting. A new light-filled atrium will showcase the popular Wright Flyers exhibit in the existing museum, while a complementary glass atrium will feature a replica of the historic Queen Anne Revenge

37 Likes

Honestly? Sorely needed. The History Museum has had the same design now for 30+ years, I believe. It was the main attraction downtown for a while, and it serves a massive purpose. I think an expansion and renovation could be a boon for the museum.

11 Likes

A replica of the QAR and an appropriately impressive Wright Flyer “hangar” is a perfect complement to their programming. That’s amazing.

6 Likes

This looks great! It appears to be an active plan, as it is on the museum’s website. There is a capital campaign for it. I wonder if they need to raise a certain amount before it can start.

13 Likes

Maybe the state could finance it by canceling the 0.1% income tax cuts they keep doing. That extra 2 bucks a paycheck isn’t really helping me, but the pooled money sure could finance a lot of things.

9 Likes
2 Likes

Cue the Spending too little v Taxing too much arguments…

1 Like

That article is 16 months old, so not sure if it materialized or not, but I’ve seen similar things that NC has a lot of surplus money. I just wish they would use it to fund things that need money instead of giving miniscule tax cuts that have little impact.

5 Likes

The money is put in the pockets of shady businessman and politicians in our state. We are the Business friendly state remember… Welcome to North Carolina

North Carolina’s income tax rate was 5.25% but dropped down to 4.99% on Jan 1 2022 and will steadily drop until hitting 3.99% in 2027. It was 5.499% in 2018. I guess that is miniscule from a year to year basis but not in the big picture. Probably working towards making NC with no state income taxes.

5 Likes

Ahhhhhh yes, let’s keep taking less tax money as our infrastructure continues to fall behind the millions of new residents moving to this state each year. Bold strategy, Cotton. Let’s see if it “pays” off… :flushed: :sweat_smile:

3 Likes