State Government

Lovely - I won’t complain too much about lack of height/density nor the lack of mixed-use in development, as this is of course a much needed renovation and expansion of an antiquated public resource and tourist attraction! PLUS it seems the green space planned for the Southern half of the lot (current parking lot/ soon-to-be museum expansion building) can eventually be developed further if/when it’s needed or someone offers to buy it. Seems like a win/win to me!!! This new wing, if done RIGHT with cool, modern features and interactive attractions inside- paired with planned Science Museum expansion to include the new T-Rex skeleton display- will absolutely be a big deal and a huge draw for tourism.

3 Likes

The real question that you missed completely is how best to spend the huge surplus of money our state has. That should be the debate. And please millions are NOT moving here each year. I think it was only about a million in the last decade.

4 Likes

Isn’t the wing across the street (into the parking lot) earmarked to be the Governor’s new office block per @mike 's comment above on July 12?

If they can fit both uses on there, that’d be perfect.

1 Like

How do TN, TX and FL do it? Maybe we need a bunch of taxes on the people who vacation in this state, like FL does.

Who vacations in NC? Lame… LOL.

Yup, tourism tax. But Florida, at least, is the home of Disney World, Universal Studios Orlando, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens Tampa - not to mention Miami, and more than a few NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA and MLS teams. NC has tourism but def not on the same level at all.

1 Like

OBX and WNC would like a word… especially Great Smoky Mountain National Park - THE most visited NP in the entire USA…

3 Likes

Higher sales tax and a captive transient audience that pays it, and because residents don’t have state income tax, they don’t care paying the higher sales tax.

Sales tax and crazy high property taxes.
My brother’s bill in Ft Worth jumped about 5k over 2 years. They had to sell the house!

2 Likes

Well then given the already insanely high mortgages Raleigh homeowners are getting now, I don’t think jacking up their property taxes to an insane degree to cover for lowering income taxes is going to be very popular…

2 Likes

The $$ responsibility will just be pushed to counties, cities, property owners, consumers and tourists.

Insanely high? 6%? We have just been living in an unsustainable bubble for 10 years. 2,3,4% interest rates are simply “not normal” & were only where they were due to aggressive FED policies unlike anything we have seen in a century.

“Insanely high” is a bit melodramatic…not downplaying the impact is real but those rates were what was really “insane” & a big driver of the inflationary pressures we see today. 2008 & Covid were “outside events” that kept rates historically low for way too long. Inflation was inevitable….

3 Likes

Archdale is trash but that’ll be the only eyesore really.

Or, a monument to Brutalism.

1 Like

Yeah the state doesn’t to care and won’t replace it it’s the reason why Steve Malik proposal was the fatal mistake in the MLS Bid.

That’s not true. There is a study in progress for a heavy renovation with option of demolition and rebuild. Look in the state govt complex thread, there were discussions about it.

2 Likes

Yeahhh, Yimby4life isn’t exactly known for sharing true info lmao. A whole lotta uninformed rambling and straight up misinformation posted by them. Not to mention that initial Seaboard soccer stadium proposal was a pie-in-the-sky proposal that was DOA and should’ve NEVER been taken seriously to begin with… lmao. Of course the Archdale Building has been rumored to be on the chopping block… but it has been for years so I really take any rumbling of its demolition with a giant boulder of salt. That said, I love that building for how ugly it is. It’s “so ugly it’s cute” I like to say. I wouldn’t mind it remaining and maybe given a nice paint job, or at least become surrounded by more aesthetically pleasing buildings. But @Yimbyforlife - Highly suggest you stop and consider facts and verifiable info before just posting whatever comes to your mind… you do that a lot and it has made the site a toss-up when I open a thread of whether I’m going to see some meaningful discussion, or just your uninformed opinions or umpteenth comment rambling about wanting a Gucci store.

2 Likes

One of my favorite buildings in Raleigh actually the PS2. Maybe if it were on top 7 levels of parking wrapped in blue glass it might win an award. The only thing I must admit to, is having never been inside, it might be miserable for those office workers with no windows 8 floors up.

18 Likes

I was a summer intern back in 92 and I can tell you that building was bad then. I cannot imagine 30 years later what it is like.

2 Likes

That’s the mural we need! Just a huge Gucci logo!!! It’d be glorious.