State Government

NC State University

!!!

And only getting bigger - we’ll be over 40k students in 4 years.

1 Like

The State of NC is going to combine The Community College System with The UNC College System employees for a Headquarters in downtown Raleigh .

3 Likes

There was a lot of “discussion” for lack of better terms about that over on the State Government thread.

1 Like

You are a brave sole. Try warring a jacket on NCSU campus with UNC-Raleigh on it and will likely get the tar kicked out of you - lol :fire:

3 Likes

A few folks here might remember that UNC Raleigh was actually one of the names floated. Seems I recall hearing UNCState too. Needless to say, there was a backlash from State, and several others who got to keep their original names rather than the new consolidated and rationalized system names.
Growing up blocks from campus, everyone I knew always called it State College.

when I attended in the 80s, the old timers back then clearly called it State college, but they have all but died off by now.

2 Likes

My granddad went to NCSU in the 40s (had to take a break for WWII) and he always referred to it as “State College” :tuffy:

2 Likes

@John, we are contemporaries, lol.
I do have a t-shirt with State College on it.
No one, esp here in Alabama, has an clue.
Doesn’t the smoke stack still say State College on it?

3 Likes

That NSC monogram logo is definitely more iconic and better looking than the current NCS lockup. Both wolf heads are of course even better.

2 Likes

Yes. it’s spelled out in bricks!

9 Likes

Another pic of my dog and the smokestack!

17 Likes

Not sure where this would fit, but is for Downtown Raleigh. Seems NC State Gov. has plans to move most of education departments into a downtown Raleigh building or campus.

Thanks DTRaldigh more moved this to correct location.

7 Likes

Good, free up some space in those ugly ass gov. buildings and get to redeveloping that side of town. Honestly it’s wild to me how much space in the central core of the city is devoted to ABYSMALLY ugly outdated 1-5 story buildings that could so easily be consolidated into taller/denser buildings, and then the old gov. buildings sold for a MINT. Eventually, we could nearly double the size of the main downtown district…

2 Likes

Actually I think the old government buildings facing the Capital building give a stately air to capital square I think they all need to be declared historic, renovated and preserved not replaced by high rise office building. Now Halifax Mall is a different story.

6 Likes

Oh, yeah I wasn’t really referring to those ones on Fayetteville, nor the museum buildings. I’m talking the UGLY ass mostly windowless squat POS buildings further up north (Halifax Mall yes, and all of the buildings along Lane, Wilmington, etc)

3 Likes

I think some of the Halifax Mall buildings and certain 70s ones like the Bath Building have real character, especially if they were spruced up a bit. Let’s build on those swathes of empty parking lots north of the Capitol before we start tearing stuff down.

Some are unambiguously bad, of course. If the State Records Center across from the Governor’s Mansion (not the Archives building, which is actually pretty cool, the one behind it), were to implode tomorrow, I wouldn’t lose sleep.

2 Likes

Sounds like after the relocation and temporary lease, they might begin construction in 2026.

Also $11.5 Million to plan and design a new University system headquarters means I’m in the wrong profession.

4 Likes

I found the description of location and type of office very ambiguous. All I really got is going to be somewhere near other state gov building in downtown/central Raleigh.

3 Likes

I have always imagined a (large) boutique hotel replacing the Department of Justice building, northwest of Capitol Square. Parking could expand into a enlarged adjacent Green Square deck. I bet the State would work with the right hotel developer.

3 Likes