Surveys on surveys on surveys

Ok, so I’ve wondered about this for a while since people keep saying this… but why are some of you so against surveys and public feedback? I honestly just want to see how it’s okay for people to not have a say in what happens around the places they live, work, and thrive in.

In y’all’s minds, what is so bad (and good!! to be fair here) about new development projects having to listen to their potential new neighbors?

4 Likes

It’s not that we don’t want you to have a say. But if you look at other major cities even as big as New York. The input is where to put for example transit stations or whatever. And service, or make adjustments to bonds that your tax is gonna be involved. But little aspect as design among others is very irrelevant we listen to where you want things to be but you shouldn’t have control on every little aspect that what slows it up, and please don’t give me that democracy takes that isn’t the great excuse!!!

1 Like

Your comments should be directed to the city and not here. The city has been criticized for not having enough public feedback in projects so this is their current route to obtain that feedback in way that’s as open as they can make it.

It’s also just the way it works when you spend tax payer money. The government is not a business. Some of us get into surveys so let’s keep that on topic where bashing the concept of surveys is off topic in my opinion.

6 Likes

I like the surveys and having a chance to provide my input.

2 Likes

I’m sorry but I have to disagree with you. Trying to be civil but I want this city to be a major city, I believe citizens should have said just not on too many little stuff!!! Things need to go forward!!! I think a NIMBY tactic in my opinion.

2 Likes

I’m actually with @Yimbyforlife on this one. I agree that these sorts of comments should mainly go to City Council etc. at the end of the day, since it’s really a local and state policy question. But that is different from saying this topic of conversation is inappropriate for this site.

The idea that public review policies are getting in the way of new development projects is a subtext that I’ve noticed coming up in several threads, organically (example 1; example 2). If this topic keeps coming up, doesn’t it mean it’s relevant and worth talking about?

I can see why this topic of conversation might not be fitting for this particular thread, though. I’m making a new thread for this topic right now, so I’ll update this post with the link when I have it posted.

EDIT: here’s the new thread!

2 Likes

Thank you for standing with me Sista!!!

The city should have a vision & strategy, and engagement about them should definitely happen to make crystal clear that they were developed in conjunction with community input. That said, once the vision & strategy are in place, it’s both cumbersome and chaotic to then survey on every project toward the execution of that strategy.
If there’s a departure from the strategy, then I think it’s perfectly reasonable to re-engage the community at either a hyper local level or a broader district level.

2 Likes

Here’s another set of Wake BRT surveys, along with a virtual open house!

2 Likes

NCDOT is asking for feedback on their final recommendations for the NC Moves 2050 Plan, but the deadline is Monday, Nov. 9.

3 Likes

Warning: this is an awfully written and designed survey. I honestly wanted to claw my eyes out after like 1/3 of the way through because it’s so boring, text-heavy, repetitive, and subjective. I’m sure college frats’ hazing rituals aren’t as painful as this feedback page.

For those of y'all who want a summary of questions without a headache...

The survey is a series of 3 questions given a long list of policy directions:

• Are these policies important?
  • How achievable are they?
  • Do you agree with what we wrote (and who needs to become involved)?
    Each of these 3 questions ask you to score each policy in a long list out of a scale from 1 to 5. The options are the same for all 3 questions, and you’re supposed to score each of them.

The above questions are repeated three times; one for some checkboxes to be filled within the next 10 years, another for < 20yrs, and another for < 30yrs. The action items for the 10-year horizon are mostly about process optimization and better project management (including reaching out to under-represented stakeholders), whereas the 20-year horizon lists ways to plan transit/freight plans in data-driven ways, and the 30-year horizon talks about actually building an intelligent statewide network of moving people and goods throughout our state.

4 Likes

Another reason to do away with unnecessary surveys!!!

There’s a poll on RAL Today about which 2021 project you’re most excited about. If you aren’t already subscribed there’s usually good content here.

Of course the list isn’t as extensive as any of us would build. :rofl:

Actual Poll

4 Likes

Just received an email from the City of Raleigh that there’s a new survey regarding the Greenway Master Plan update. This email and a link to the survey can be viewed here.

3 Likes

Adding the Dix Edge Study survey here as well.

2 Likes

@atl_transplant, you get a pass this time, but surveys go in this “surveys on surveys on surveys” thread. LOL

https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/general-news-thread/1780/1041?u=oakcitydylan

1 Like

City of Raleigh has a survey up for input on budget. https://raleighnc.gov/news/2021-03-01-tell-us-your-top-priorities-we-are-planning-next-years-city-budget

4 Likes

Posting here as well for good measure. Try to do this if you can. Only seeing three public comments so far, including mine.

3 Likes

Comment just opened on two huge text changes:

Missing Middle (TC-5-20)
This text change proposes amendments that are intended to increase housing options throughout the City.

Transit Overlay Districts (TC-17-20)

10 Likes

Crossposting from the Bike Lanes thread—the City is taking input on the proposed State St. cycletrack:

3 Likes