Surveys on surveys on surveys

I feel like the city and other government-related agencies put out lots of online surveys so here’s a topic to share what’s out there so folks can give feedback.

Here’s the first.

3 Likes

This whole 4 bus system thing with kinda similar names is really a drag. You can’t use a GoRaleigh card on a GoTriangle bus and so forth. It shouldn’t be this hard to use the bus. The counties should agree to one absolute governing body like how bigger metros have ‘Port Authority’ that handled major transportation systems.

2 Likes

There’s a big effort with the agencies to move towards a standardized fare structure with a universal boarding system (kind of like the TAP card for LA systems or the Clipper Card in SF). So they’re working on it.

6 Likes

The Downtown Raleigh Alliance (DRA) requests that you take a few minutes to answer the following questions about your perception of downtown Raleigh. Your responses will help guide the current and future work of the DRA. This survey is not meant to be exhaustive, and should only take 3-4 minutes for you to complete.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RGYZ6BF

2 Likes

How should we create housing in our growing region: Share your thoughts!

Everyone living in Wake County and the Raleigh metro region feels rapid growth happening – new construction, increased traffic, rising property values and more. With 67 people added per day, Wake County is the fastest growing county in the US (over 1 million). Policy-makers, the private sector, and residents must figure out where growth and development should take place and how it should happen to ensure a good quality of life for everyone. Housing is one important factor for everyone to consider. We actually have a general housing shortage here. Plus, 42% of Raleigh renters are considered “housing cost burdened” meaning they pay more than 30% of their income in rent and 18% pay more than 50% of their income in rent.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BY56W7J

3 Likes

I have to laugh that they don’t mention that we are additionally taxed by living in that service district. I don’t mind paying it, but it should be mentioned so that others don’t think that we are getting something for free that others don’t get.

@John I’ve read you type this before but I just never really put much thought into it. Maybe it’s worth a new thread but I’ll admit I don’t know the details of the additional taxes for downtown businesses and residents. Where can I see more and then start a thread to discuss/inform?

It appears that there are two districts that have an additional tax. One is the Raleigh Municipal District and the second one is Hillsborough Street Municipal District. I’m still looking for the additional rate, but I think it’s several cents additional.

Here’s a link to the NC law that establishes the guidelines for these special taxation districts. A Guide to Business Improvement Districts in North Carolina - Coates' Canons Coates' Canons

I just found this:
http://www.wakegov.com/tax/taxratesfees/Documents/TaxRates2018.pdf
It looks like the increase of the tax rate for the special district downtown is a bit less than 7 cents, while the Hillsborough St. districts adds even more at 15 cents.

1 Like

FWIW, the NCDOT is taking comments on their long range plan, NC Moves 2050. You can submit comments on this map here:

https://vizmaps.wspis.com/2050plan/crowdsource/map

More on the plan here: NCDOT: NC Moves 2050 Plan

3 Likes

Thanks. I put in my 2 cents.

1 Like

I must say that it’s quite encouraging to see that the vast majority of the comments placed in Wake County are encouraging non-car transport options. I can’t say the same for certain other parts of the state, though.

What shocks me is how few comments are out there considering this has been out there for a few months…sad :cry:

1 Like

Why does it surprise you?

In the eyes of the average NC resident, I’d think this would be a pretty obscure survey on a pretty broad-reaching and unsexy topic about not-so-familiar initiatives. There’s not a lot of incentives to even find this survey (let alone respond to it), unless you’re a transit/development nerd like us or you’re a professional in the field.

3 Likes

Here’s another for all of you. Definitely an oppurtunity to share that you walk, bike, scooter your way around and the city should support.

Raleigh Community - 2019 Employee Commuter Survey

Your responses to this commuting survey help the Triangle Transportation Demand Management Program (TDM) better meet your transportation needs and should take no longer than 15 minutes to complete. We thank you for your participation.

4 Likes

How should Wake County plan for the next 250,000 residents expected over the next 10 years? We want to hear from you! Please click on the link to the PLANWake Participate Part #2 survey (English version and Spanish version) and share your opinions about how the county should plan for growth, public services, open space, housing, health, and more.

http://planwake.org/index.html?fbclid=IwAR31Ka06lhlYQ8_ElyUTfYZQKiULgcUgXn3wGA8QdvbSMIgMUVcCciJI1fU

3 Likes

Done! Although I wasn’t thrilled to see “more roads” as the leading answer for Question 4.

3 Likes

I was disappointed in that as well. It certainly didn’t make my top two either!

3 Likes

The best answers are from the geniuses who say that they don’t want any more development or growth, especially in THEIR neighborhood. Because other than a select few people, I’m willing to bet everyone in this county moved here from somewhere else. In planning terms we call it “Last One In” syndrome (in other words, any development before I got here is why I chose to move here, any development after I get here is destroying the reasons why I moved here).

5 Likes

You kind of inspired a thought/question, more for the community than you specifically, but I wonder how much influence the county really has on development? I’d think when you take a County-wide survey and they talk about development they are really talking about the rural or unincorporated areas of the county. Wake is huge and there are still places that don’t really lie within a municipality.

Anyone have any more insight on this idea?

3 Likes

And just when you thought it was safe to go back into the … Survey Pool…Enjoy! :grinning:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/KJVJ9DJ

5 Likes