Surveys on surveys on surveys

I commented Smoky (not Smokey) Meadows for the name, thanks to the post by @rhinson!

1 Like

The City’s been quietly looking for citizen feedback on two policy changes to help build denser housing more easily, as well as to make buses and BRT run faster.

First is a change to the city’s Comprehensive Plan. This will change the names and definitions of some policies, and expand the area where development cases would be expected to enable denser housing and buildings that are friendlier to pedestrians and transit users. This walkability-friendly policy will also be defined based on corridors with frequent transit, too, instead of just BRT stations (which means more parts of Raleigh can benefit from density-friendly policies).

The other could change the city’s street plan to enable BRT to happen. This could let BRT in the New Bern, Western, and Wilmington corridors run in their own, exclusive lanes without cars getting in the way.

8 Likes

im guessing frequency and distance to bus stop. comments are closed. my family, as we moved around raleigh for decades chased bus stops. we had to. in longview…70 yards to a bus stop. in brentwood, 30 feet to a bus…no stop but wave your hand as the bus approached. in quail corners, ok…it was a 1/4 mile walk. in north ridge villas…about a 130 foot walk to a bus stop with a normal route and a connector.

im not sure what nimbys are in longview now. the longview bus still runs through longview on bertie and chatham i think. a new bern BRT, if true, wont deviate from new bern and likely do little for longview or the country club neighborhood across new bern from it. both neighborhoods likely to use a BRT very little.

if i recall k and w’s on the weekends had a decent mix of folks.

Great stuff @keita, commented on both. Was really hoping to see density efforts expanded to all high-frequency corridors, and I’m thrilled to see that the city was thinking the same. Really exciting to think about how transformative this could all be over the next ten or even five years.

4 Likes

City of Raleigh Budget priorities for fiscal year 2023. Sorry if this has already been posted, I hadn’t seen it yet. So much NIMBYism in the comments…

6 Likes

I’m currently trolling all the NIMBYs they just straight hate growth and redevelopment. I’m glad there a small minority, CACs should not come back, because they should have no control over an area downtown building 40-story tower,

1 Like

You really are not helping the cause by doing so. I can tell you that much.

3 Likes

Well someone should’ve told me that ahead of time.

When filling out a survey, always ask yourself, “is what I’m putting here actually helpful to the people who will be reviewing it?” If it isn’t, don’t share it. Public input is a privilege and a responsibility. Treat it like you’re talking to someone in a position of authority, not like you’re posting on Facebook.

17 Likes

I personally don’t see value in it, no other major city does this and if they do it’s a few meeting. There pointless in my opinion they don’t move us forward, there should just be a few in-person meetups I’m every district.

You sure about that? Looks like Austin does, and you seem to reference them a lot:

9 Likes

So you’re advocating for less opportunity for the public to comment on things? You do realize that the only people that show up to in-person meetups for each district (you’re describing the CACs that were abolished) are are retired, old-money/old-city homeowners that don’t want anything new built near their property? Aka the NIMBYs that you constantly rant and rave about… Online public input is a way for all to have their voices heard, and unfortunately that still means a ton of NIMBYs now have even easier access to do nothing but whine and complain… but that means that SO DO YOU - but again, if the NIMBY whining and complaining is annoying and doesn’t add value… then how does your whining and complaining in response compare? Use your voice, but use it to support the things you support, and back up your claims with evidence and example. Save your ranting for here where we all mostly agree with you (just chill with the soccer rants lmao)!

4 Likes

https://wakebrtextensionsstudy.com/?fbclid=IwAR3sjK1X51PtAYaJZk6RqVzzZXFeweOJ5U9geydbUBt-Et-MTPquxTJM5lw

Wake BRT would like some feedback on the study of BRT extensions from Garner to Clayton and from Cary to RTP.

Wish it also included from New Hope to Knightdale or Wendell since I think it’d be useful but I’ll wait my turn :joy:

6 Likes

Dropping this here as well.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting. I just did the survey and added my voice to the chorus of requests for more pedestrian and bike infrastructure.

4 Likes

If you like Livable Raleigh (or don’t like them), here’s your opportunity to make your voice heard!

https://vote.indyweek.com/local-color/best-local-activist-group

For those that DO NOT want LR to get votes, we should pick 1 option so it has a chance. My 2 cents.

For this one, really? 4 options and Cox is one of them??? I already hate this survey/poll.
https://vote.indyweek.com/local-color/best-politician-in-wake-county

2 Likes

So, what’s our vote going to be against LR?

I chose Successful Business Women :man_shrugging:t3:

I have no knowledge of the groups outside of the one I don’t like, so I picked one I think should be doing good things.

And Deborah Ross instead of Cox.

2 Likes