Surveys on surveys on surveys

Took that today and voiced my support for not only continuing, but expanding the district footprint to include more of the warehouse dist., but also said they should use compostable cups if not already, and add more trash receptacles around.

8 Likes

I still hold out hope they might try the trash molocks again. Especially if they expand the social district which, as you point out, is going to produce more trash around the city.

6 Likes

I also hope they try the molocks again but I think the communal bins like the ones they use in Spain would be a good stepping stone. This set of bins handle all of the trash generated from one city block in Valencia, which means that there aren’t smaller trash receptacles on every single corner which are prone to overflowing or private bins that need to go to the curb every week.

4 Likes

They have these in Rome. They never look this neat. But Rome is never that clean.
I think these dumpsters would be a hard sell. Folks will stick with the ugly they know rather than a neater, but still ugly, replacement. Molcks are the answer. I can’t believe the city caved so quickly. I think the atmosphere of that particular moment doomed them. They need to try them again.

8 Likes

Put the Moloks on S. West St. near Union Station.

6 Likes

My survey feedback:

"Most restaurants and bars that I know/go to regularly have opted out of participating due to it negatively competing with their alcohol sales and causing additional liability for their business regarding ALE and most of their employees dislike the idea of it.

COR should take these concerns into consideration and base the program initiatives more around city exploration during outdoor events and festivals or create outdoor programming surrounding art/culture tours, to make better use of the existing district program without infringing on local businesses and their employees.

I personally have no issue with the program or its (creative) expansion but have not taken advantage of it simply because I haven’t had a good use case opportunity… that, and none of the bars I frequent bother participating for aforementioned reasons."

7 Likes

Legally, I’m not sure if this is possible. But, is there a way that restaurants could set up a temporary outdoor bartending space to take advantage of the social district?

Imo, part of the issue with the social district is the fact that it’s difficult to convert passer-byers into customers since they have to physically walk into the store, get the bartender’s attention, tell them it’s sip-and-stroll, close out, leave a tip, etc.

It would make the process 10x easier if there were temporary outdoor setups that allowed them to sell alcohol directly on the street out in front of their business. Again, I’m not sure of the legality here, but it would convert a ton more sales to those looking to grab a drink “in-the-moment”.

12 Likes

https://vote.indyweek.com/groups

Livable Raleigh is nominated in 2 categories for best non-profit and best local activist group in indyweek. Please vote for someone else.

I voted for oaks and spokes and note in the pocket.

4 Likes

It blows my mind that someone would vote for Livable Raleigh over Urban Ministries. On one hand you have an organization that seem pretty well aligned with the Hayes Barton old white fight against million+ townhomes and on the other hand you have people volunteering to help homeless and feed the hungry.
/rant

also…??

OMG, I can’t with this survey!!!

Ok, clearly this is a shite survey. VERY slanted against development. If you’re going to have Greedy Developers for reasons to LEAVE Wake County, list Developers for reason to LOVE Wake County! :rofl:

14 Likes

I know, right? It almost makes you think Livable Raleigh is behind this survey

7 Likes

I TOTALLY thought that.

3 Likes

More like INDYweek is now hack AF (read: has been for a while) and just sides with the Livable Raleigh crew on most of their absurd positions.

4 Likes

My vote would be: Livable Raleigh

8 Likes

Just call them NIMBYweek now. Honestly. They were pretty smart about this stuff as recently as 2018-19 and now they are absolutely overtaken by NIMBYism to the point where they’d probably be against the Durham light rail project if it happened today.

6 Likes

Blount and Person Street Project - Phase 2 — Design Open House and Survey

5 Likes

INDY is NIMBY. Just next election will have to expose them.

Just added my input. This all seems fantastic to me. I’d like to continue to see more one-way streets change over to two-way.

4 Likes

Gosh, this all looks fantastic. My only issue giving feedback is that I don’t really care beyond the excitement of the two-way conversion since I don’t bike, so they’re all pretty much fine with me.

My only issue is that they stops it at Edenton, but that’s due to the planned BRT. Would love to see them come back and update this in the future.

7 Likes

I’m really curious as to the logic behind this piece of feedback on the survey:

Two way expansion is completely unnecessary. Oakwood is relied upon as an area for parades, events, charity walks, the Garden and Candlelight tour, races, marathons and is overwhelmed on Halloween. Proposed changes would impact all these events, likely pushing them back further into residential areas where they will be less welcome OR become even more disruptive to the commute. This doesn’t feel like it respects preservation. It feels like the first step in a long term effort to develop over Oakwood and Mordecai.

How the heck does two-lane conversion on a set of boundary streets encourage the development of Oakwood and Mordecai? Also, I’d love to see these streets be used less for commuting and more for neighborhood uses than they currently are now.

2 Likes