Taking matters into our own hands

I’ve noticed several threads and comments saying that things we’re interested in on this site could be hindered directly by politics, and that having a better way to exert leadership/policies would be helpful.

What if we, on this site, were to do that? Seems like some cities have done similar things, too:

Could Raleigh (and the Triangle) benefit from something like this? And is this something y’all would be interested in being a part of?

DISCLAIMER: I cannot be the head organizer of this sort of group because of restrictions from my day job; please don’t apply the “he who smelt it, dealt it” rules and assume I’ll kick this thing off the ground…

10 Likes

I think there are a lot of different groups in Raleigh, many of them in some ways overlapping, that are working to advance these sorts of goals. One of the most advanced ones is Raleigh4ALL. I know some of the folks who post on this forum, including @RaleighBikeLady, are leading this project.

It would definitely be good to get all of the various YIMBY-minded folks coordinating efforts to work to improve Raleigh, including by changing the existing leadership. :slightly_smiling_face: https://raleigh4all.com/

4 Likes

I love this idea, and I think it would be doubly cool if those interested and able also engaged in some small traffic calming or tactical urbanism projects. Things that can be done without going through the city bureaucracy. The Harrington St. Cycletrack is a good example, though on a larger scale of what I’m envisioning.

5 Likes

I’ve been accused of being a NIMBY so I don’t think I can participate.

…what?

Do you agree with that? Is that person even right to accuse you in the first place? Is that a comment you tend to receive regularly? Do you feel like that disqualifies you from having a valid opinion and ideas?

If you answered “no” to any of that, I don’t understand why you should care about that one person accusing you…??

1 Like

This came from the YIMBY list and thought it appropriate for this thread.

Admittedly I haven’t listened to the podcast yet.

2 Likes

Finally got around to listening to it. The problem Eidson is trying to solve for Elkin (revitalizing a stagnant town; sort of like an American, privatized version of this initiative) is a bit different than what’s up in Raleigh (re-aligning priorities for a region that’s already alive and popping), but it’s still worth listening to if you’re behind the wheels and bored.

The fundraising and regular events are not just a way to get money. Instead, it sounds like a forum to network and form bonds; a way to meet up over wine and live music, and shepherd people’s discussions into something more actionable.

It reminds me less of a community booster and more of… almost like a church? With this guy being the pastor? (and I’m not even religious)

…but maybe the last part is probably the most useful for us? It sounds less like a lot of the transit drama, housing issues, arguments about whether to have another pro sports team in Raleigh etc. won’t get far if we treat it as just that -but it needs to be branded into a more cogent story.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recap! I think even just taking the idea of organizing the passion of the people in this forum and strategizing action is interesting and potentially could be effective.

2 Likes

Just wanted to share (and thank you for plugging, @daviddonovan) that our next Raleigh 4 All monthly meet up will be this Wednesday from 7pm - 8:30pm at Clouds Brewing, details here: https://raleigh4all.com/events/ For this month’s event we’ve invited candidates to join us from 7pm - 7:30pm before the start of our working group meeting for a quick drink and conversation. We’ll then pivot to talking through the issues and posts we’d like to tackle in the upcoming month.

We’re a group of folks trying to engage in issues based advocacy to help move these important issues forward. Very much so looking for all voices to join in to help augment and support this effort. Please feel free to contact me directly at anytime (maryesell@gmail.com) if you have any questions!

6 Likes