Tempo by Hilton Hotel & Homewood Suites

Feels like a classic airport adjacent hotel or something from these angles

25 Likes

Luckily these angles won’t be visible for long once the Nash Sq apartment tower starts and whatever happens with the Firestone lot happens!

8 Likes

Don’t be trippin’

24 Likes

It’s gonna be a nice full block!

3 Likes

Foaming about the neighboring hotel…

3 Likes

When the Revisn Hotel was being finished, there was styrofoam pellets all over the neighborhood. It really pissed me off from an environmental perspective.

7 Likes

I’ll be worth it when he gets business when the hotel opens up, then he won’t be complaining trust me. When the going gets tough the tough gets going.

1 Like

Yeah, totally agree if there’s “no way to mitigate it, despite best practices” then maybe find another material…? Factor your neighbors and maybe consider something that addresses triple bottom line?
Oh but just wait until all those hotel customers are boosting the WK bottom line - maybe, but if existing customers are ticked because the new neighbor doesn’t give a crap about the 'hood, we’re probably not off to the best start…

1 Like

Yeah I don’t see why they’re allowed to use that material if it does this.
Interesting tidbit regarding the timeline though: The construction company said the siding work is not over. It’s only 50% complete and will continue periodically over the next six weeks.

2 Likes

Is the jail the tan building or the new building in the picture? These vacant lots are barely looking any better than before. At least the weeds felt alive.

Agree. Might I suggest just eating inside until they are done with the foam siding? His business is going to greatly benefit from this project so I’d probably just deal with the temporary inconvenience and look forward to the increased cash flow in a few months.

& @Yimbyforlife These takes are terrible lmao. They are spewing tiny bits of plastic garbage all over the place- it’s a terrible building material, terrible for the environment, and terrible for this business while it’s affecting customers in real time - they have every right to complain and ask for better.

13 Likes

Sure, but what can be done about it at this point? I had jury duty for 7 days in April and walked by that site 3-4 times a day and didn’t notice it at all. Is there something wrong with their indoor seating? LOL

Might I suggest that developers be accountable for the damage that is being done to the environment and their community by their actions? Look, I’m all for development, but it has to come with responsibility and accountability.

15 Likes

This material has been approved and they aren’t violating any codes. So what can be done about it exactly? They have put measures in place to try to help but it doesn’t sound like there is a way to contain it completely. Not sure what good going to WRAL is going to do. I guess if it’s really that dangerous of a product then someone should go to their representative to have this building material banned? Just not sure how dangerous this product actually is if it’s been approved and everyone knows how this happens when it is used.

2 Likes

I spotted the same thing happening the other week off The Acorn over on Person. One morning, on a walk to the office, the street was covered in this white “snow”. It’ll easily wash away into the sewers and therefore the rivers. I too would like to know what the material is and the “downstream” affects.

14 Likes

This is exactly how one enacts change, by illuminating the problem. I would say this is step one (zero?) in eliminating a nuisance product.

2 Likes

I’m not arguing it’s not a nuisance and an inconvenience but I would think in 2023 that if this building material was that big of a problem and made that big of an environmental impact that it wouldn’t still be in use. My uneducated guess on this issue is that it sucks to be around it and it is a nuisance in the immediate surrounding area, but it probably makes very little if any environmental impact.

As evidenced by John’s post, it is likely when this material is used, it has the same effect everywhere. Not sure the construction company at the Tempo is to blame here.

1 Like

Or maybe everyone is too focused on the advice from this genius and not the insanely negative impact we have on the oceans and rivers.

If you pay attention to ocean cargo, agriculture pesticide run off and industrial waste, it’s awful the amount of crap that’s dumped into the water. So it wouldn’t surprise me if this foam material was overlooked because it’s not supposed to make it’s way into the sewers, but still does. Anyone remember what the Dupont company did to the Ohio river? They rebranded themselves and the chemical that’s now dumped into the Cape Fear river.

1 Like

Its EIFS. Its cheap. Its not specified for serious projects. Its the bare minimum to cover a building when people don’t care. Yes, the blow off is bad for the environment.

I suppose the material has its uses for cheap and uninspired buildings.

The solution is to have better designed buildings.

4 Likes