Tempo by Hilton Hotel & Homewood Suites

I agree you can’t blame them. They’re doing all they can be expected to do. The blame lies with the developer who approved this material to be used, knowing this will happen. Unlikely to be able to go after them for environmental damage since it’s an approved material, but Whiskey Kitchen shouldn’t be on the hook for lost business, losing half their seating (during prime weather), etc. so that this developer can squeeze every drop of profit out of this project. They should be compensated by the developer in my opinion.

6 Likes

You are extremely naive lmao. Check out the massive island of plastic waste that floats out in the middle of the ocean, or the microplastics found in nearly all fish and now being found in human blood samples.

5 Likes

lol yeah, I can’t believe that was a serious comment.

You’d think that in 2023 if car-dependent sprawling developments were that big of a problem and made that big of an environmental impact we wouldn’t still be building them, but here we are… It’s no different with materials. Enacting change takes immense effort when you’re going against the grain of economic and social convenience.

2 Likes

But, but, they were approved…

I look at it for the love of money.

1 Like

Glass is also an approved material. That doesn’t mean that its shards should be scattered all around the neighborhood.
When I watched the Revisn hotel going up directly across the street from me, there was ZERO attempt to contain or collect the pellets that they were creating. The installers were simply “sanding” the panels with these huge trowel type tools and sending those pellets into the wind. I’m sorry but that’s not acceptable to me. Then, when they were done, they did nothing to try to clean up the mess that they caused in the neighborhood.

Gosh, you know, it took me all of 30 seconds to find guidance online about how these pellets can be contained and cleaned up. Why isn’t our city requiring these things @JonathanMelton ? Sorry to pick on you Jonathan but you are the only council member that I know is on this platform. This truly isn’t directed personally at you.

I’ve also learned that this sanding is called rasping. :wink:

6 Likes

Looks like most of the Styrofoam on the north side (facing Whiskey Kitchen) is already done except for a few of the top floors on the left side of this picture.

9 Likes

Then you’ve got it backwards.

Money comes with good investment. A city’s most valuable asset is its appeal: jobs, residents, and retail will only come to places that are attractive (and will leave places that aren’t). Therefore, the best investments a city can make are ones that make people and businesses want to be there.

If you prioritize fiscal growth over improving your product, then you’re only in it for the short game. Admittedly, you can experience some temporary success with that mentality, but it’s not sustainable at the end of the day. On the other hand, if you want to be in it for the long haul, then your top priority needs to be making your product more attractive. Anything that flies in the face of that is a point of failure.

Remember: cities are, first and foremost, places where people live, work, and recreate. Thriving cities are economic powerhouses, but cities do not thrive when the needs of a few override the needs of many. If you don’t make your city a pleasant place to exist in, it will lose its appeal and eventually spiral downward.

Oh, and I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out that the core tenants of YIMBY ideology do not center around money, but around building better cities. By making YIMBYism about money, you’re proving your NIMBY opponents right and giving them more ammunition to fight against their favorite antagonists: “greedy” developers. If you want to fight Livable Raleigh and change the minds of those who are currently siding with them, then you need to start thinking about how your approach is going to be received.

12 Likes

I read that article too. I also read the WRAL article that said they were operating within code and attempting to mitigate this as much as possible. I also read Leo’s post above that references the job site across town that this same issue is happening at. That reinforces to me that it’s probably not as easy to contain as Core Safety makes it sound.

It is cheap but it’s also energy efficient and not banned by the EPA. So pick your poison I guess…deal with some EIFS blow off or have a building that will be less energy efficient for decades to come.

Any type of veneer or cladding with continuous insulation will be just as energy efficient - if not better. The only benefit of EIFS is how cheap it is. Its also not as durable so less service life and will need recladding sooner - i.e. not very environmentally friendly there either.

6 Likes

What other types are there that would be commonly used for a high rise? The stuff Tempo is using is about the only kind I’ve seen.

I don’t know, but I’ll ask. The article I read said they’re complying with City code; maybe there’s a gap here in regulations.

1 Like

Are you asking about insulation types? (xps, mineral wool, polyiso, spray foam) or Cladding types? (brick, metal panel, terra cotta, glass, precast, prodema wood, I dunno just about anything you can think of to clad a building)

Thanks Jonathan. I can’t speak for this particular installation because I am not witnessing it, but I can tell you that there were no such mitigation for Revisn on Boylan. I watched that one out my windows.
If there is a gap in regulations, it wouldn’t surprise me.

Tempo did have netting draped from the roof top down to the ground while doing this work. I assume that it caught a lot of it but some must of drifted out in the wind. I have seen very little on the ground and I walk by twice a day. I did see a lot of it at Acorn one time when walking by.

2 Likes

Well, if there are piles of it laying around in the gutters and on the right of way of the city, clearly there’s no enforcement to even try to clean it up. I saw it at Revisn on Boylan and @dtraleigh saw it at the Acorn. Now we hear about it from this project as well. There’s definitely enough examples to establish that this is a pattern that I’d like addressed by the city.

I didn’t think of it that way definitely something I will absorb.

1 Like

Johnathan, I wanted to ask you about all these hotels why will you guys don’t rezone for valeet parking saw that in Austin a lot.

That’s actually not a zoning issue. Request for valet parking is a right of way access issue. They typically appear on our consent agenda at the request of the applicant, like parking permits for residential neighborhoods, loading zones, etc.

9 Likes