Temporary COVID-19 Thread

Yes, I agree, I think closing a few of the streets could be a great idea.

You want Raleigh to turn into Drunk Town?

4 Likes

You’ve come to the wrong thread with that much logic and reason.
Two of my best friends currently live in Stockholm(dual citizens). They’re very intrigued with our approach

Well, that escalated quickly. haha. I don’t think that is the intent. I believe its to provide more room for social distance while walking, biking, maybe provide socially distant outdoor seating for restaurants.

1 Like

There are some really good ideas on here, especially about restaurants, but I suspect that only the people who want everything reopened will be the ones going out and about. The people who want the lockdown to continue will likely keep staying home except for essentials.

I think it may be politically untenable to stay locked down for much longer. NC deaths from Covid-19 have risen notably during the lockdown (especially recently), and if this trend continues, it will be increasingly difficult to convince residents that the lockdown is justifiable. This will lead to larger and louder protests from the reopen everything groups, which eventually will reach a breaking point if things don’t start to change.

I think the issue with restaurants/bars/breweries is that by their design it’s a bunch of people in close proximity to each other and the staff. The masks most people have do almost nothing to protect the wearer; they’re to prevent the wearer from spreading it by coughing or sneezing or breathing directly onto someone nearby. So the servers and bartenders would need basically to wear properly fitted N95 masks or something similar for their entire shift while running around and also talking to customers. I’ve thought about this a lot, because no one is missing the restaurants and breweries more than me. I’m just not sure how this would work. Kind of the same thing with hair salons. The staff is at risk, plus it’s kind of hard to wear a mask while getting your hair cut.

As for stores, that may be possible. I haven’t been missing the stores since Target and Lowes and stuff are still open, but I don’t see why like Bath and Body Works couldn’t follow the same model as Target.

I keep thinking about all of the angles and situations a lot. I guess my biggest question to everyone is why have we been in lockdown for the last 6 weeks if we’re just going to reopen with some restrictions now? What has changed? If anything, NC has more cases now than before, and hasn’t even started to decline…But even when it does decline, nothing has changed. The cases will just go back up with no effective treatment or adequate testing. Not trying to be argumentative, just “thinking” (typing) out loud.

2 Likes

The reason deaths are rising is because it’s not a complete lockdown, and people are defying social distancing anyways (also deaths are a lagging indicator). If the lockdown is completely lifted, the cases will rise dramatically. Also, so what if there are louder protests from some people? People protest things all the time, that doesn’t mean it’s representative of the general public or that policy should be informed by angry people instead of science and data.

8 Likes

The number of cases is pretty much a meaningless stat. It will never go down as they don’t remove those who recover from the total, so of course there are more cases as it can’t do anything but go up.

3 Likes

Yeah - meant to use the sarcastic font.

North Carolina is in the bottom third for states in both cases and deaths per million and it has only been slowing from its peak a couple weeks ago. We should probably be at the forefront for the discussion of when and how, with measurable goals and timelines and game plans. In the absence of this being communicated, we just get frustration on both sides.

4 Likes

On second thought, let’s just put it here on this “temporary” thread.

1 Like

keep in mind, the trend follows the actions by 2-3 weeks.

3 Likes

Yep - Stay at home order went into effect in NC on Mar 31. So that 3 weeks yesterday. So we should only now start to see the effects of that.

1 Like

Number of new cases per day is not meaningless. It shows if this current wave has declined yet. This is also drastically under-reported since there are so few people being tested. Which is why we need widespread testing before we can reopen things, as well as far fewer active cases to prevent exponential new cases.

This is not a decline.

5 Likes

Opening everything up really comes down to the monetary value you put on a life. This quick (25 minutes) podcast explains how we, as a Country, have valued lives in the past. How much is a human life worth? : Planet Money : NPR

Kind of like the old joke goes:

A man asks a woman if she would be willing to sleep with him if he pays her an exorbitant sum. She replies affirmatively. He then names a paltry amount and asks if she would still be willing to sleep with him for the revised fee. The woman is greatly offended and replies as follows:

She: What kind of woman do you think I am?
He: We’ve already established that. Now we’re just haggling over the price.

I’ve kept my fingers off the keyboard for as long as I can. Isn’t the big missing metric on this chart the number of tests that have been given? Of course if we test more we are going to have more new cases. We have completed just north of 90k tests in NC. And that isn’t a flat line.

4 Likes

At least I can somewhat agree with some of your statements now. But in reality the only stats that matter are those who are hospitalized and those who die from the coronavirus. If you have the virus and you are not affected enough to go to the hospital then it’s basically no worse than the flu. The difference being that one should quarantine yourself so that you don’t pass it on to someone who is elderly and/or with underlying health issues as it’s those people who are dying from it predominately.

2 Likes

That’s very true. Which is why if widespread testing was available and implemented, we’d be able to have a better idea and react accordingly. We’re probably several weeks away from this though.

3 Likes

The issue with that is that many, many people are asymptomatic for days or the entire time, and are spreading it to vulnerable people. And by vulnerable, this could be high blood pressure or obesity (half the country).

1 Like