The Fairweather and other condos on S. Harrington

I saw a picture of a large very strong truck mounted vacuum system being used to remove gravel from a roof to allow maintenance/repairs. I think it was somewhere here but not sure. Makes quick work of removing the gravel as well as all the dirt and other things that accumulates in the gravel over years, but I would guess very noisy - lol

1 Like

Speaking of Florida cities Tampa is getting a JW Marriot “its first 5 star hotel” https://www.instagram.com/p/CIEsM6cFWOi/?igshid=olrej8ehsjgs

It’s cool to look at, but I wouldn’t want one of the units that has a tiny/narrow terrace because it just happens to be in the wrong place in the building. I’ve seen marketing material for buildings in Miami that have this sort of balcony treatment, and the ones that end up with basically unusable terraces are a shame. That said, I do appreciate the sculptural quality of the facades that it creates.
I do think that there’s a lot to be said for not just slapping small boxy terraces on the side of building though, and I do applaud the creativity and attention to design. I really wish Raleigh would get a tower that would be worthy of its modern architectural legacy. Everything is just so damned ordinary.
Here’s an interesting side by side of two new towers in Miami. The one on the left has its terraces better integrated into its design, while the one of the right has slapped on lifeboat balconies. You’ll have to scroll up toward the sky to see the juxtaposition.

3 Likes

I don’t know about other buildings that followed after, but at least in Aqua Tower the terraces are 4’ at their narrowest, with the majority being between 6 and 12’ wide. The shallower slab extensions function as shading for the glass but are not actually occupiable balconies.

Definitely agree with you; waiting for some more design-forward towers in the Triangle.

6 Likes

Jeanne Gang is doing the new Chicago O’Hare airport tetminal, by the way. Will be her first.

2 Likes

I suppose 4 ft is good enough for Chicago, but Miamians want to live on their terraces in the Winter. Most high end projects today have especially large terraces that function as outdoor rooms.
The curves provide a conundrum to the developer. Custom curved glass is extremely expensive, and this metal railing detail looks extremely cheap.
Had PNC had glass railings, I’d hate its design less.

1 Like

What’ll really blow your mind is having everything loose laid and using wind uplift forces to hold the roof system down. :exploding_head: Check out V2T roof system https://www.v2troofsystem.com/

Also, for some reason I thought the roof patio areas were basically going to twice the size they appear? I guess just embellishment with the renderings?

2 Likes

You and me both, including some other future residents.

Yeah, and I want to know if they are going to be growing wheat on the roof like the renderings indicate! :ear_of_rice:

1 Like

Those will probably just be planter boxes with tall grass surrounding the patio paver areas.

My comment was tongue in cheek. I guess that it didn’t land. I better not give up my day job!
:slight_smile:
As for the terraces, they don’t look that exaggerated to me from the renderings. I suspect that they are larger than we assume from the birds-eye view.

1 Like

Lights are on, @oakcitydylan must be home…

15 Likes

I wish! No.
And don’t get me started. This is a public forum and I’m don’t like bashing companies especially when they’re local.

On a positive note, we have landscaping going in!

13 Likes

Ahh a fellow forum member who has also been “Monarched”.

Wow. Great photo of the Fairweather and surrounding area. Too bad no one has moved in yet :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks! Sorry it’s a little blurry. Turns out my Android phone’s night vision isn’t as fancy as :apple:.
:grin:

@OakCityDylan wow, you can barely see the building behind that forest! :yum:

2 Likes

Still haven’t seen a bad angle.

12 Likes

nice pic. man we really need more buried power lines downtown…look how many towers and poles are in that pic! yuck

7 Likes

Still looks like quite a bit of work left. Looking great though. What a transformation of that block. Any insights to the cause of the delays? Got a text from my former realtor expressing great frustration with his closings there.

1 Like

I wouldn’t throw up my answer to your question all over this public forum.
:face_vomiting:

Covid and weather…

1 Like