The Fairweather and other condos on S. Harrington

That’s a good point, scale probably also has something to do with it. And now that I think of it, recently completed larger condo buildings like One City Center and Mangum Flats are at a lower price point than The Fairweather (but I also think they have a lower level of finish).

Until I decided to look into downtown condos, I thought people were insane to pay those prices and monthly fees. But, I took the plunge two years ago and am still happy with my decision. Some weekends my car doesn’t even get started because I can walk or ride share. My utility bills are half (or more) of what they were in a single family house. No trash or water bills. And no big surprises like rotten floor joists, roofs, etc. No yard care or related expenses. To each his own, but I am a very happy condo owner.

10 Likes

5 Likes

Kane has indicated that they will be doing the grade/elevation change adjacent to their development as contribution to the West Street extension project (they plan to have a parking deck entrance/exit there). According to them, that and impact fees will be how they contribute.

Other than that, the consensus is that the West Street Extension is still on hold pending funding. However, if the two new adjacent projects are able to get some of the work done, perhaps it will be easier for the city to secure funding for the remaining project costs.

3 Likes

Don’t get your shoes dirty!

1 Like

I think I was standing right behind you. :slight_smile:

Did I hear channel 11 news right tonight , these condos are listed @ $1.4 million ?

$300k (awkwardly shaped units facing west) to more than a million. Plus a monthly $400 HOA fee. It’s on the Fairweather site.

I’ve lived in condos exclusively since 1988 and couldn’t agree more. I’ve been downtown since 1996.
For me, it’s all about the lifestyle, and condos do it for me.

2 Likes

HOA fees ALWAYS go up after the residents take control of the association too. The $400 for the one bedroom units is already high, but expect it to go higher. The larger units are going to have some really hefty monthly dues if it’s determined by square footage.

The Fairweather HOA fees are calculated based on sqf. so likely each unit will be slightly different even if the same bed/bath config.

FYI, official start date is Feb 11 and 512 days projected to completion.

2 Likes

That’s very typical. All but one of the condos I’ve owned had dues based on square footage. In that case, it was based on bedroom count.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Development at W Cabarrus and S Harrington

According to iMaps, there’s 6 total parcels on the block just north of Fairweather. For the sake of the buyers of Fairweather, I sure hope they don’t get 12 floors in that "elbow of their building. If so those who face that parcel just flushed their money down the toilet. That said, if it’s the same developer, I can’t imagine them hemming in the views of condos that include ones that they are trying to sell north of a million dollars.
Right now, all of those parcels are DX-5-UL.

Neighbors within 500 feet of properties south and west of the intersection of W Cabarrus and S Harrington received a notice of a rezoning request for the following parcels from DX-5-UL (downtown mixed use up to 5 stories) to DX-12-UL-CU (downtown mixed use up to 12 stories with conditional use district):

505 S West
401 W Cabarrus
510 S Harrington

These parcels make up about .61 acres just north of the Fairweather.

7 Likes

I was just going to post about this. :grin: This space is currently occupied by the women’s shelter.
If it’s going to be apartments, I hope they sound proof the heck out of it as it’s sitting right on the railroad tracks.

1 Like

Interestingly enough, the banner image on the Light forum theme appears to be taken from this location. Assuming this has a residential component, the units on this corner would have an unbeatable view!

2 Likes

Maybe once they close that crossing they won’t have to blow the horn. I can hear it ~6 blocks away but I’m used to it now

1 Like

Perhaps for a short while, but I’m sure the property in the foreground of the banner image will eventually be developed with a building at least as tall as the one that ends up here.

2 Likes

They’ll still have the horns from pulling into and leaving the station along with the crossing at Hargett but one less crossing to blow it at will be welcome. Although I’m going to hate losing that crossing… I hope they at least find a way to keep it open to pedestrians.

1 Like