The future of Caswell Square

I think this is the right thread?

12 Likes

:dizzy_face:
I had no idea this was coming and so soon?
You intrigue me, tell/show me more… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Demo only. No plans right now.

5 Likes

Lets hope for a mini-park and not a parking lot

2 Likes

You beat me to it!! But your angle didn’t get the @oakcitydylan graffiti! haha

4 Likes

The grey building to the right is absolutely a historic treasure as one of the buildings from the original NC School for Deaf and Blind. Only two of these are/were left this particular building being built in 1898. It should have been saved and is one of the things I give McCrory credit for trying to do. I would have knocked down everything on the square except the two school buildings (the other is on the SW most corner) and ended up with old Caswell Square park again plus a history building complex that served as an annex to the History Museum. Could have also moved the Seaboard building here to free up its space for a bigger, modern building.

11 Likes

Does anyone know if they’re going to use the space vacated by the demolished buildings for parking lot or grass and trees? Even having that small area park-like would be a big improvement.

Well said. Is this whole row of buildings still set for demo?

Just the two…

1 Like

I really hate to be the one that posted this, but it looks like the historical building is gone.

9 Likes

Got this while stopped at the light.

5 Likes

Please keep and protect the Oral Hygiene Building. Our city has an old building physically titled the “Oral Hygiene Building”. This coolness cannot be lost on our leaders and developers.

3 Likes

Oral hygiene would make a really cool name of a boutique hotel. Imagine the cool scandal of it all!

3 Likes

All good man. I knew it was coming so made sure to get some covert interior pictures a while back.I can’t see what I’m uploading very well so these might be terrible…plus it was just an iPhone in the dark, But this give you some idea about the inside.

19 Likes

Wow that’s really cool! Thanks for taking these!!

3 Likes

That handrail was pretty special. I suspect it was not saved and is a mangled mess of junk now. What a shame.

5 Likes

MAN I’m mad now. Why must this city systematically destroy every piece of its history bit by bit… oh except for the Confederate statues that don’t belong anywhere near an American STATE capitol building. Those stay while beautiful old buildings are destroyed. DUMB.

2 Likes

Some current shots of the demo. We were surprised to see patient information from 1980 flying around the streets.

6 Likes

And look at the Logo!

1 Like

@OakCityDylan

Thank you as always for your awesome pictures for us and posterity sake! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

If we Raleigh/DTR specifically continues to tear down ALL of these buildings for what I am sure will be nicer projects, what do we have or are we left with? This really goes to what and who Raleigh is, was and will be??? :thinking: