The future of Caswell Square

Wonder if Debra’s pregnancy test came back positive?

1 Like

He’s 39 now. :heavy_check_mark:
Little Joey (Joe) is all growd up!

1 Like

Could someone please clarify something for me. It was my understanding that the State was behind the demo of these buildings and not the city. If it was the state then the city really had no say so.

Yes it was the State. The site is old Caswell Square as the title says which is State owned land.

1 Like

If that’s the case, the motivation from the GA certainly isn’t going to be goodwill toward the city of Raleigh by offering it back as a partial public square. It’s most likely to go to the highest bidder.

Idk man, am I a bad human being for not minding them leveling these old buildings?

2 Likes

The truth is the decision was made when they abandoned them and stopped maintaining them long ago. Not sure when.

The Oral Hygiene building should come down as well according to this March 2019 article.

The buildings facing the wrecking ball include a century-old building that was originally a broom and mattress factory employing students from the state’s school for the blind and deaf, which at the time was located next door. That building was later used as a heating plant for the state government complex.

The state will also raze two smaller buildings next door to the former factory: the one-story “old film library” at the corner of Dawson and Lane streets, and the “Oral Hygiene Building” that later housed a research annex for the N.C. Museum of Natural Science. The odd name stems from the building’s original use: Headquarters for a dental hygiene education program that launched in the 1940s. School children visited the building’s dental health museum, known as “Little Jack’s House” because of the star of a puppet show performed there.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article227413964.html

4 Likes

Judging by those old records @OakCityDylan posted it was sometime after 1980

I’m honestly in the same camp. They could’ve been something cool but at this point they’re pretty much just eyesores beyond repair. I wasn’t like cheering for them to be torn down, but I don’t personally care that they’re gone. I get why people do, tho.

4 Likes

The State owns Moore and Nash too, they City just operates them, though I’m not sure if the State pay for some of all of that operation. But yeah, I can’t see it ever being even a City operated park.

Dammit to hell. Makes me want to stop brushing.

I think having an area of grass/trees on Caswell Square would be nice for this part of downtown although they’ll probably pave it and make it parking. Moore and Nash are such treasures. I love how Savannah has so many public squares.

4 Likes

That’s unfortunate. That’s the only building on that block worth keeping.

Oral Hygiene Building needs to stay. That is a significant loss for Raleigh.

Can’t replace history once it’s gone, and Raleigh doesn’t have much to begin with, so failing to save what little remains is pretty sad.

4 Likes

100% agree. Wonder if anyone on here would know the best avenue to send emails to share distaste with destroying historic buildings. @dtraleigh any pointers? I assume for that building in particular, we’d have to contact a state rep, not city.

Read the N&O article, describes a bit of the decision-making history. You can thank your Council of State.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article227413964.html

2 Likes

So weird walking by that tonight… Almost took home one of those medical records from 40 years ago that was on the street.

6 Likes

If you’re a fan of old bricks, I’d recommend stopping by. :wink:

I want to get a brick from the Hillsborough Street IHOP when it is torn down. I have a lot of late night memories tied to that place :slight_smile:

2 Likes