The future of downtown's historic neighborhoods

TBJ ran an article on these yesterday. Matt Tomasulo (former Guest House Raleigh and planning commissioner chair) is behind them!

The 3-story buildings will have a total of 34 studio and one-bedroom units. Casitas Aqui I will total 10,140 square feet and Casitas Aqui II will total 17,220 square feet, which equals around 600-800 square feet per unit. There will be 34 parking spaces.
[…]
Tomasulo declined to give a rental range, but he did say that the apartments would rent at a lower rate than others in the area to make it more accessible. In addition, 8 to 10 percent of the units will be for those making 60 percent of the area’s median income.

He does not yet have financing. If he can pull this off, I think it really would be an amazing example of what development of this scale can accomplish.

17 Likes

Still mad Matt didn’t win his City Council campaign some years ago. Dude walks the walk (literally, if you are privy to one of his past projects that still remains on some telephone poles today :wink:)

8 Likes

i wasnt quite sure where to look…whatever became of the clover lane issue? was maximum height achieved or was there a compromise decision? i may be wrong but this one seemed like a finger in the air, so to speak., (wind direction for clarity) thx.

There’s the application that was approved back on 4/4.

2 Likes

Well, so much for Q1 2023. Any updates?

Signage and website are up. They’re now “The Edge at Brookside”

12 Likes

Where exactly is this located?

Here you go:

One thing I noticed walking by today - the new rendering has a somewhat better street interaction than the original blank white walls, so thank goodness for that.

1 Like

On Brookside Dr. between Conn Elementary and Brookside Bodega.

1 Like

The house almost directly across the street at 601 Edmund is getting stripped down to its first floor and gut-renovated. This whole block is soon going to look much different.

It must be easier for permitting to leave some of the original house - it’s not the first one I’ve seen where they seem to intentionally leave an odd wall or three of an unremarkable original house even as they rip everything out and add a lavish addition.

2 Likes

That street-facing facade is brutal

There is a house that I run by in Greystone that did the same thing. I kept asking myself, why didn’t they just take down the whole house??? They gutted it, took off the roof, and a big section of the rear exterior wall. It has been mostly built back with an added second floor and who knows what else. Just seems really bizarre to me. (Not that I am in favor of tearing down houses for McMansions.) But the lots for SFHs in Greystone are pretty huge. I’ve already seen one corner lot subdivided with a $1MM+ house built on the back half. I guess it just pushes up the value of my house, but still seems rather crazy.

2 Likes

Sort of an appropriate name since they aren’t facing the street. You see their edge.

Serious movement at Mordecai Overlook!

Here’s a refresher on the project:

And as a bonus, the telephone switchbox house has finished construction and transcended boring-ugly to become so-strange-it’s-interesting, which I find kind of charming. I hope an artist lives there.

14 Likes

The brick home renovation on Brookside is going vertical. Interesting approach, it’ll still probably sell close to $1M

9 Likes

Ohhhh just you wait till they paint that brick a nice matte slate-grey. $2million easy, baby.

2 Likes

agreed. it’s gonna be north of 1M.

4 Likes

Hopefully they landscape the hell out of the Brookside side - that’s a busy road these days.

1 Like

Landscape it with something tall enough to hide all the different window elevations.

2 Likes

Noticed a ‘for sale’ sign up at 1203 Brookside this morning, I wonder if there’s time/interest from these folks to add another lot to The Edge.

1 Like