The future of downtown's historic neighborhoods

ah, yea I guess they were about to experience some things…

1 Like

We’ve got site prep at The Edge!

5 Likes

I think this goes here? The upcoming planning commission meeting on 9/12 will be addressing CP-4-23, a privately-initiated proposed amendment to the Comprehensive Plan to limit development near the Glenwood-Brooklyn neighborhood (specifically the area on the east side of the railroad tracks between Wade and Peace).

https://www.reddit.com/r/raleigh/comments/169u2na/if_you_want_density_in_downtown_this_is_your/

1 Like

Why would the City Council agree to this? If they do it, why can’t every neighborhood complain & try to force the same sort of ‘exception’?

Steps you can take:

If you want density in downtown, this is your chance to fight the NIMBYs - CP-4-23

The Glenwood-Brookline neighborhood has proposed a change to the city comprehensive plan to reduce the density of the development around the future city park.

If you are for pro-density and non-car oriented development in Raleigh, this is your chance to fight the typical NIMBY attitude that has strangled dense development in and around downtown.

Email the city planner in charge of this case to show your thoughts - Matthew.burns@raleighnc.gov

You can also join the meeting 9/12/23. Or when the portal opens up you can provide your input as well.

1 Like

Yes, then it’s considered a “renovation” rather than a new-build. Financing can also be easier sometimes. It’s a loophole that exists to allow someone to rebuild after a disaster.

BTW, $700-800s sounds like a lot for a townhouse… until you see that a new SFH a block away (701 Edmund) is listed at $1.35M.

IIRC, the new developments should have a public access easement across their rear driveways, which could allow something like an alley back there along the creek.

The UDO assumes that all of Raleigh has alleys, when in fact almost none of Raleigh has alleys – and there’s no roadmap to create all those alleys, either.

1 Like

The Edge update. We have a port-a-potty.

10 Likes

That’s when you know shit’s gettin’ real :sunglasses:

The sinkhole fix is a pretty heavy duty piece of work for Oakwood

6 Likes

The Brookside Edge Townhouses / Lagoon

4 Likes

Construction is like surgery…not pretty to watch. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I love looking at construction!

1 Like

Obviously not laparoscopic

Couple detail clarifications for the Edge project - the street facing rendering on the sign is more of the final design direction instead of the initial blank white, except the ADA requirement sidewalks will go to the garage instead of the basement flex room. The sign is still supposed to exist on the 1205 building street side, but it will not be lit.

5 Likes

This is RB Rouse Construction. He did my brother’s house in Woodcrest recently and has started expanding in the downtown area. My bro recommended him for an office renovation I’m planning. He’s one of the cheaper guys right now who is still putting out quality stuff, but I’m watching this project closely before I really decide. I previously used Giddens Construction on my house and would recommend 10/10. Their prices are just crazy now.

3 Likes

It looks solid, which for that price point is good!

Another similar expansion seems to be happening down the street by Armature, who usually do really attractive work.

And finally, bonus Edge progress pic

3 Likes

I almost wrecked my car…. Is that green Seafoam?

3 Likes

I laughed so loud seeing this. Then I explained it to my wife who said, “that’s not nice, someone may actually like that”.
:rofl:

#beachhouseonbrookside

I think we need a pro seafoam mayoral candidate who campaigns on getting more seafoam colored housing and maybe painting some municipal buildings seafoam.

4 Likes

Maybe Raleigh could end up looking like Santorini, except Seafoam…

2 Likes

The Chefchaouen of the West as many people are calling it

3 Likes