The future of the Person St. District?

Hell, they barely look one way.

5 Likes

Not sure I am a fan of two-way conversions?

:brain: One way streets with two or three lanes and synchronized traffic lights to maximize capacity
:brain::brain: Two way streets with one lane in each direction and parking on both sides
:brain::brain::brain: One way streets with one lane in each direction plus a busway and/or bikeway

8 Likes

The city is installing parking signs in the left side of the street (heading northbound). I would imagine that painting lines is next up.

1 Like

So wait, the 2-way conversation isn’t happening? They are just adding parking to the left side of the street?

Sorry, i’m late to the game here and this might have been discussed.

Judging by the direction the street signs are facing, it doesn’t look like that’s the current plan. Signs can be repositioned, though.

According to the city website, the two-way conversion is still in design for another year at least

3 Likes

I’m glad it’s still happening. I specifically voted for a tax increase to fund Blount and Person being converted to two ways, and I thought that got cancelled.

6 Likes

Coming soon: a new mural on Person St, on the side of Ish / The Pharmacy.

Hard to see because the outlines are faint. “Build a Better Person”

13 Likes

I’m not sure how I feel about this conversion because I’d rather they allocate more space for sidewalks or add a bus lane and separated bike lanes. I’d be fine with more parking decks and less on-street parking.

1 Like

Maybe a stupid question, but…why does this have to take so freaking long??? It’s not that difficult to paint some lines on a road to turn it into a 2-way street. Plus there will still be plenty of room for on-street parking on both sides of the street.

Signals and signs have to be redesigned and permitted, studies have to be done to ensure proper sight distance, public input, design and engineering phase, volume projections to make sure signal timing is correct. Etc

4 Likes

Progress!

15 Likes

More!

23 Likes

Also, (ish) opens for lunch today.

8 Likes

Long story short, they’re only converting Blount and Person to two-way streets from Edenton St north. Still installing traffic circles at Wake Forest and Automotive way and at Wake Forest and Delway. Going to put some traffic calming measures and bike infrastructure along the sections where they’re keeping things 1 way.

12 Likes

Looking briefly, it looks like none of the options include protected bike lanes. Someone please correct me if I’m mistaken.

On the one hand, I’m happy to see more bike facilities.

But on the other hand, as someone who bicycles regularly (mostly for recreation), I think any bike facilities that aren’t physically separated from from vehicles are basically garbage/ lip service. Too many drivers don’t watch for bikes or respect bike lanes. If there is not a physical separation I generally don’t ride in it, and I won’t take my kids on it.

There were options that included protected bike lanes with parking spaces blocking the bike lane. They mention and illustrate them in the video.

1 Like

Interesting. I didn’t watch the video, but clicked the schematics for each option and they were all just “buffered” by paint. I’ll watch the video.

There’s just not enough ROW on these old city streets that are bounded on both sides by development.

I think we’re still years from this and not sure if businesses / homeowners would like it (even though in city setups they’d probably benefit) but anytime we have blocks like this where streets are parallel you could have “A” and “B” corridors.

“A” corridor could be a traditional two-way street with traditional sidewalk and parking.
“B” corridor could be a multi-modal street with no vehicles, just walking, bikes and transit.

9 Likes

The options shown by the city includ parking protected / buffered lanes. Oaks and Spokes has a blog post up with feedback on the project. I would encourage anyone that would like to see all ages and abilities bike infrastructure attend the meeting tonight or the one on the 21st. There is also a survey open through the 27th.

11 Likes