The future of the Person St. District?

I noticed that Jolie has a nice little neon sign on it, right on the corner. I was thinking this whole area would be cool as a little “neon district” with some tasteful neon all on the businesses, highlighted by the gigantic Krispy Kreme sign.

12 Likes

The two way conversion of Person Street begins.

7 Likes

Last I heard the two way conversion was on hold. This should just be reducing the number of lanes and adding a bike lane.

12 Likes

This is simply just adding bike lanes and reconfiguring some of the lanes/parking spaces. The 2 way conversion is sometime in the future…

3 Likes

@GucciLittlePig and @pierretong, you two are correct. I miss read the announcement I recevied from the city. It read “… and the new two-lane configuration will remain…”. In my wishful mind I saw two-way configuration.

4 Likes

Didn’t someone say they shelved the 2-WAY conversion phase? I sure hope not, but I think someone on here may have said that.

1 Like

According to the project page, they’re going thru with two way conversion.

1 Like

They started on first phase which is slimming and implementing bicycle lane while maintaining one way traffic.
Second phase is converting to two way traffic (future)

My apologies if I wasn’t clear. The page I linked indicates that two-way conversion is slated for Phase 2.

Update on Standard Food and Beer from ITBinsider:

The pair (Whit Baker and Andy Schnitzer) said any renovations to the space at 205 E. Franklin Street would be minor; adding some brewery equipment, a new coat of paint, etc. As minor as that work may be, it still required permits to proceed. Those permits were issued earlier this month to G&G Builders. We expect the new space will be open by the first quarter of 2020.

Hey @Tenkai they aren’t keeping the market side of things are they? With Publix (soon), Wegmans, Weaver Street now in the game, it seems like that wouldn’t make much sense.

Yeah, I’ve heard from a few different places that they’re planning on stripping out the market part to focus on brewing. I still miss the meats and charcuterie that Standard did, but Wine Authorities does an ok job filling that gap.

I know it’s not in the same block, but Alimentari in Transfer food Hall has some excellent cured meats and charcuterie.

2 Likes

Looks like Mad Ethel’s Tattoo is moving to the strip of shopping between the new Oak City Cycling Project and Yellow Dog after having been relieved of their S. Dawson space.

2 Likes

I’m surprised a generic apartment developer hasn’t made an offer on this corner yet. Building some apartment stories over this might be cool, but lets face it, Raleigh rarely goes the creative route. Anyway, I am always concerned the organic nature of the corridor will get smashed up by some deep pocketed out of state developer who has investors profits to be worried about.

Blount St & Person St Two-Way Conversion Project - Pre-design meeting:

March 24, 2020, 6:00PM - Raleigh Convention Center.

Improving mobility and connectivity for pedestrian, bicycle, and vehicular traffic

The goal of the two-way conversion of the Blount St and Person St corridors is to create streets that accommodate a wide range of users.

7 Likes

A fully protected bike facility

Let’s hope these are protected one-direction bike lanes on both sides of the street and not bi-directional cycle track. Bi-directional cycle tracks are for rural and high vehicular speed roads.

4 Likes

This will be transformative for downtown east of Blount. Slower, 2 way, multimodal traffic on these 2 streets will be huge!!

9 Likes

Reverting to two-way streets is also better for businesses in the corridor. This point needs to be stressed when we’re also trying to get protected bike lanes.

6 Likes

It’s also better for pedestrian safety along this corridor. People just don’t look both ways when pulling out of side streets on to one-way streets.

5 Likes