The future of the Person St. District?

Very interested to see what comes about this potential project at 600 N Person across from Krispy Kreme.

I’ve always thought this should be done at any single-story retail strip mall with surface parking in a walkable area.

600 N Person St - Proposing second floor addition of apartments above existing single story building (currently medical clinic, and to remain that use on first floor). Also proposing to build a new 2-story addition on the West side of the existing building, where there currently is a surface parking lot. A portion of the second floor new addition will cover the existing parking lot, which will then only be accessed from the alley off Bloodworth.

35 Likes

This is the formula! Incrementally up, incrementally more mixed use!! Bravo!

18 Likes

I LOVE this! Such a good idea.

4 Likes

I love it.
Let’s see if this gets NIMBYed out of existence.

1 Like

Even for Oakwood this feels like a layup

2 Likes

Where can I read about this development? Any idea who the developer is?

3 Likes

Yeah, I’d be surprised. I would think NIMBYs should take a, “it could be much worse” approach and embrace it.

5 Likes

I mean you could say that about any NIMBY objection campaign though.

3 Likes

Remember when Stef Mendel was on the City Council and she used her rental property at Governor’s Square on Person St. to oppose Scott Crawford’s Rooftop Addition to Jolie?

I think she still owns that condo, so I’m sure they’ll have to navigate past people like her.

6 Likes

This is exactly what I was thinking of when I made my last comment.

1 Like

Here’s what I saw. Looks like being designed by REdesign.build

Love how Stef likes to call the current CC corrupt and “in developers pockets” meanwhile she literally used one of her own rental properties to sway a government decision in her favor. Is that not the definition of corruption?? Unreal someone like her was ever elected to public office here.

11 Likes

At least she didn’t stalk anyone or hit them with her car… :thinking:

I think I’ll pass with flying colorS. Megan would be the passing vote.

It looks like the two-way conversion project of Blount and Person has stalled out. Last I looked at this page, there were 2023 dates on the schedule. Now they’re all “Pending”.

1 Like

See the various surveys that were sent out. Why? A very small percentage of people will respond . Mostly with BS. Make a decision and build something. Drives me nutzzzzzz.

We didn’t form the committee to investigate the possibility of running a fact-finding survey to help us decide which agency to consult that will research potential plans of action for us.

1 Like

Why don’t you contact the project manager and ask what’s going on? Lee Mai - lee.mai@raleighnc.gov

5 Likes

I actually used the form on the site, which I assume goes to the same email address. Good looking out, though.

1 Like

From what I’ve heard it’s BRT related. There’s been some issues with operations and BRT reliability between Edenton and Lenoir.

Last conversation I had, the project was still on for the points North and South of the BRT overlay.

10 Likes