The future of the Person St. District?

You are correct. I got an email this morning that read:

In response to your question about the Blount Person Project.

Yes, the two-way conversion is still under consideration. We have had delays in the design due to the BRT: New Bern project, but we do expect to get public feedback on the early design within the next couple of months.

16 Likes

On the cities webpage for this project:

We are having a virtual open house April 10 - May 7.
We are ready to show the design plans and get the public’s feedback. During the virtual open house we will host an in person event. Stay tuned for date and time!

8 Likes

New designs dropped that include parking protected bike lanes.

North of Edenton Street Design

Delway Roundabout Design

Wake Forest / Automotive Way Roundabout Design

25 Likes

That’s so much better looking. Really hoping they take the same approach the rest of the way down both streets.

2 Likes

Didn’t realize that Delway intersection was also getting a roundabout. Huge for walkability and turning out of Franklin. Cars tend to rocket around that curve.

7 Likes

This is SUCH good news. The two one-way lanes of Person St. is really the only thing holding it back. Visibility while crossing, esp. with two little kids, is poor, making it super stressful. And every time we eat at the Station (which is rare) there is a near accident, or someone beeping at someone else.

This 2-way change is going to bring so much order and make the district so much more pedestrian friendly.

I can’t wait.

10 Likes

It looks REAL good.

20 Likes

We have a timeline on this?

See the Six Forks Road improvements for reference. Which is infuriating when they constantly keep proposing these new projects while most are in perpetual limbo.

1 Like

You know the standard. 4 years of public surveys. 4 more years to analyze, then costs are too high and abandon.

1 Like

Thanks for posting this video. I wish that they had tried harder to be consistent in the orientation of the plans/maps. In some cases north points to the right, and in others north points to the top. In the case of the first roundabout, the existing and proposed are oriented differently. While I am able to follow it, it’s unnecessarily confusing.

6 Likes

Agreed. Seems like a simple “detail”. N is N is N.

3 Likes

What, you find this disorienting?
:melting_face:

6 Likes

Not a part of this project, but the parking lot next door at 307 N. Boundary was being totally cleared by crews today. Google isn’t turning anything up - anyone know the deal?

1 Like

Permits say a new duplex.

6 Likes

Excellent. Another surface parking/vacant lot bites the dust.

1 Like

New duplex site is cleared

9 Likes

Is that lot officially part of Oakwood or no?

Yup

5 Likes

816-822 Wake Forest Rd. 4 lots totaling 0.69 ac for sale. Lots of options for development. Best case scenario… I would like to see the current houses (ca. 1910s and 1930) relocated and restored.

14 Likes