The mansions of Blount Street

Today’s spotlight - one of my absolute favorites, the Andrews-London House at 301 N. Blount! One of those houses that has more and more cool details the more you look at it, and the state has actually done a solid job with the landscaping.

20 Likes

There’s ballroom on the top floor.

5 Likes

It’s been a hot second since I’ve done one of these! Holidays + work getting in the way.

Today’s spotlight is 417 N. Blount St, aka the Higgs-Coble-Helms House!

I’ll let the RHDC take it away:

It’s been lovingly restored and is now the site of a private medical practice. Here’s the pre-restoration appearance for comparison.

2010-04 417 N Blount St MG_0201_0_ DCicone web

19 Likes

Figured I’d grab the RHDC description of this one as well - had to look up Serliana!

7 Likes

Happy Friday! Today’s spotlight is the Henry Miller (not the author) House at 612 N. Blount St., designed by Charles Barrett.

It’s a true gem with an eclectic, detailed design and the yellow and white paint with the red roof is a wonderful slate of colors. It’s not in bad shape either, though a little sprucing up wouldn’t go amiss.

The NRHP application calls it “Georgian Revival with strongly Bungaloid features.”

20 Likes

This house looks amazing when it catches the setting Sun!

1 Like

They haven’t quite finished the paneling on the other side of the house, but they are starting to paint:

Grey for Victorians is certainly historically accurate, much as I love the more colorful interpretations.

13 Likes

Such a great house. It defines “substantial” for me. :slight_smile:
Thanks for tending to this thread. I just love these blocks of Blount.

6 Likes

I second this!!! :+1: :+1:

Raleigh has so very little of this type of or period of homes. Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Makes you wonder about all the houses lost between Blount and Halifax St when the state bought it all up and tore the neighborhood down. I guess these were the best of the best - flat street on top of the ridge, sharing an street with the governor. Thank goodness this set survived suburban flight and even worse, state ownership.

1 Like

The parking lots along Blount street kill the entire vibe of this neighborhood, it’s sad. This area right here is hideous and honestly four or more houses could possibly fit in this area.

Of course there would need to be a public parking deck nearby to accommodate the loss of parks for the hilariously named Burning Coal Theatre Company lol.

8 Likes

That’s not to mention the really great houses that have been lost down Hillsborough St from the capitol down to St Mary’s Street. One of the few remaining is the large white house that used to be the democratic headquarters next to the Catholic church.

4 Likes

I feel like a historic mansion row along Blount is something of a nice draw. It’s something I’ve always thought would be great to enhance if I was rich. :man_shrugging:

No joke here; what do people think the odds are that one day, the Dodd-Hinsdale House (where Second Empire is located) may get moved to Blount Street?

I bet we’ll face that conversation but not until decades from now.

2 Likes

It’s still the Democratic headquarters.

That’s good to know.

Steadily moving along

20 Likes

Will this house a business or a private home?

Private home……… ……… ……

How do we get invited for dinner once completed?

2 Likes

Let’s include the house that is the democratic headquarters to be moved to Blount St. also.