The Metropolitan Apartments / Quorum Center

That’s just an insane amount of time to be displaced!

1 Like

@rgmedd, a lot of us have really felt for the Quorum residents. I hope things stay on track, but I just walked by there and it sure looks like slow progress from the outside. There has been one window on the north side for about a month. Almost two years to be displaced is unreal. Best of luck.

Thanks! Hopefully we’ll see some progress soon. They’re projecting a move-in time in January.

The restoration company - Jenkins - selected to reconstruct the Quarum is inept. They typically take on multiple jobs and once they have secured the job, move between the jobs like honey bees. This is their business model. Avoid this company, which takes advantage of people in disaster situations, at all costs! First hand knowledge.

1 Like

I agree. The city needs to designate W Lane Street as a key east-west connection between Glenwood South and the Capital District by widening this section of Lane Street, making it 2-way, and adding a bike lane with wider sidewalks. Peace and Jones are today the only east-west connections, and the Jones vehicle/bike connection could go away if and when high-speed rail comes to Raleigh.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Fire in Glenwood South

Some photos from a walk around The Metropolitan this past weekend.

7 Likes

They built a completely new complex before the Quorum could be repaired. How frustrating for Quorum residents!

6 Likes

And knocked down the Metropolitan parking deck and what didn’t burn of the building. Agreed about the Quorum - those folks must be frustrated. Hopefully they will be back in soon.

4 Likes

Seriously. I’d just like them to reopen the road. Anyone know when that’s supposed to happen?

1 Like

Jenkins Restoration, doing the Quorum reconstruction, are inept. They dropped our relatively small Hurricane Mathew reconstruction, for this huge project. We haven’t finished with them 25 months after the Hurricane. Jenkins - avoid at all costs.

4 Likes

I have heard that from several sources. They are the second contractor on the job I think. The property management company the Quorum has (or at least use to have) did our property no favors either.

1 Like

@rgmedd Any update on a move in date for Quorum residents?

2 Likes

Leo, I know you said you kind of like the materials and look of Metropolitan…I uh, think it’s the clashingest, cheapest looking building in downtown after Elan. If I live long enough, I predict it’ll be the first of the mega-box apartment buildings to be replaced by a taller building as part of this momentum shift to westerly downtown…I’m calling it within 40 years.

1 Like

Yeah, I mean, it’s not great but the combo seems a bit nicer than say The Lincoln or , yes, Elan. I agree, still nothing to get excited about.

1 Like

I agree Leo, the Lincoln is the absolute worst, and the only thing that saves 222 Glenwood is the sidewalk experience and its modest scale. There’s nothing terribly exciting about Metropolitan, but this are a lot of other crap out there.
All in all, most of the “designs” of these massive apartment buildings are sad attempts at trying to convince us that these aren’t indeed hulking monolithic buildings, rather a collection of urban buildings built side by side.

1 Like

Take a look at the materials they will be using on Peace (I assume that is what the mock up is at the corner of Harrington and Johnson - the new exit). Will be interesting to see opinions.

1 Like

Thanks for that tip.

I walked past it last week and at a glance they seemed more substantial if nothing else. Perhaps had some of that bigger city gloss to it. Was certainly different than the paperboard exteriors we see on the stick boxes we keep getting around here en masse.

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Why do all new apartment buildings look the same?