The Weld, Hammell Drive Mixed-Use, Lake Wheeler Road

Wow… Tons of opportunity for redevelopment. The next frontier…

7 Likes

And they’re priced accordingly
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1432-Curfman-St-Raleigh-NC-27603/6427189_zpid/

3 Likes

We’re looking at the future of chaos. These prices are insane. It’s obvious our commercial system is doomed.

1 Like

Counterpoint: Investors, developers, and speculators are going to be first in line for anything over here, and it is good that the old ladies and residents can cash out by charging them a premium if they’re willing to pay

4 Likes

I can see how that can be feasible short term. However, in the long-term for the average citizens that live in this city, this will lead to nothing but more despair.

We’re probably looking at one of the biggest economic bubbles of all times ahead.

I still have fun playing SimCity with you guys though. Lol

1 Like

If you can take a neighborhood like this originally developed at 10 units per acre, and redevelop it into something more like 200 units per acre, then you have increased by a factor of 20 the number of people who can live near the economic opportunity of downtown, and within easy walking distance of the wide open spaces of Dix.

Were we to keep this as a single family neighborhood, these houses would all get torn down and redeveloped into 6,000 square foot, $2 million mansions, which would honestly be a travesty.

Or do we implement a hukou system where some bureaucrat or politician gets to decide where everybody gets to live?

Redeveloping the neighborhood and maxing out the density is the best possible outcome.

18 Likes

Lol oh ummm ok. As much as I love pointing to the big sign that says “supply and demand” it doesn’t seem worth the time. Tell the Livable Raleigh crowd we said hi

1 Like

Creating for singles, or those without families perhaps. The economic engines of the next decade will not be the cities but the outlying areas where reshoring is on the rise.

The majority of properties in Fuller Heights are already owned by investors who bought out the “old ladies” for a steal years ago. It is a majority rental neighborhood. One of Raleigh’s most prolific slumlords and his family own a lot of those properties.

Development here is inevitable, but it’s inaccurate to believe a lot of low-income homeowners are going to win big by cashing out. A lot of low-income renters, however, will be most impacted because this type of housing isn’t being replaced at the same rate it’s being redeveloped.

It’s unlikely the renters who currently live in Fuller Heights will be able to afford to live in the new development, if we’re all being honest with ourselves. I fully support more density, but this reality can’t be denied.

8 Likes

What is the point that you’re trying to make and what is the policy outcome that it supports?

1 Like

Given Dix, downtown proximity, etc, what happens to those renters otherwise? Rents have already been hiked a lot, and the only thing keeping them from going to the moon is the fact that the owners (read: Gupta, as well as Dumont dba Right Force, Find An Acorn, Windsor Crest) have been doing next-to-no upkeep on these properties and are content to let them rot, knowing that the real value is in the land, not the structures.

If it stays single family, eventually it goes the way of Cameron Park, etc, where modest houses are torn down and replaced with mansions. Even with a NCOD that attempts to block teardowns, you get high end renovations with insane finishes in these modest mid century shells, that aren’t affordable either.

Can’t ignore gentrification as long as it stays low density.

4 Likes

My point is that people like us always assume that residents of neighborhoods being redeveloped are reaping benefits of higher selling prices that allow them to move somewhere “nicer” thanks to the redevelopment. It helps us feel better about it (me included, because I support these kinds of developments).

But the fact is that this is not really what’s happening.

I do not know what the solutions should be. Just pointing out unvarnished facts.

14 Likes

23 Likes

Future :building_construction:'s, south side shuffle

5 Likes

Just passed this site. Temporary erosion control measures are installed

4 Likes

So @ahops0428 actually found this – credit to him. But I’m going to put it here too

32 Likes

The timeline is unbelievable for Raleigh though haha.

3 Likes

Nice I was just driving by this weekend and noticed a good pace on the grading works

2 Likes

That’s 675 new units, directly across from Dix Park, and in addition to the units at Park City South. This is incredible!

15 Likes

Agreed, game changing for the area.
The road improvement with multi use path is going to get so much use as people walk/bike to the farmers market.

13 Likes