To buy, neighborhood / development suggestions?

I know saw “drew stocket property” the other day and was wondering where on earth does that name come from? Does our varied and brilliant community know the answer?

I grew up in Fairmont, and the house next door to my childhood home is for sale. That was very walkable as a kid - of course the A&P is gone from Hillsborough, and there are always students around. But with the Rose Garden, a short walk to Cameron Village, close to Olds Elementry, campus and Hillsborough, buses on Hills’gh, Brooks and Dixie made it a great location.

Welcome to East Raleigh! I am on Milburnie. Def not best for walking to downtown. But easy bike ride and Alamo Draft house and brookside market easy to get to. Would open up the in your price range options for sure. And really good Greenway access.

2 Likes

It closed and was immediately replaced by a falafel and co. Which is excellent. But the market part of it kind of stayed the same, and the name has kind of stuck. Go check it out and you will immediately feel like it is a place you would want to walk to. I live East of Raleigh Blvd on Milburnie, and atleast 70% of the people buying over here started out looking at Mordecai and around brookside then gave up on the prices and came over here to buy. Not as walkable, but still not bad.

1 Like

I second Fuller Heights. If you don’t mind a working class neighborhood with a lot of rentals, it would likely be the best investment you could make in the current market. That being said, it’s rare for properties to go up for sale in the neighborhood (a large portion of properties are owned by a few landlords) and you better be ready to make a great offer when they do. Lots of real estate companies and smaller developers are really trying to poach in this area.

1 Like

Lions Park is probably still affordable. Joe Louis Park has a lot of mixed housing, some rehabbed or new construction is going over 450, but original homes are still under 200. If you’re liquid enough to buy below your price range and have cash on hand to have reno work done it would be nice. It’s a little farther outside downtown, on the other side of Rock Quarry/Tarboro.
There are a few properties in South Park that might be in your price range and not in need of demolition, but it’s getting difficult to find (there’s a 70-year-old house available for 330k right now, for example, or some vacant land for 160k).
Rochester Heights is still affordable, but nothing is for sale right now. They usually don’t last long when they come on the market. The prices are rising and the neighborhood is of mixed quality but it’s well within your price range and has the right size. Many homes have been renovated, which usually takes them from a 3/1 to a 3/2. It may not be as close you’d prefer but it is certainly bikeable and I have walked to downtown (it’s just a long walk).

1 Like

Just outside 440 from Fuller Heights, come enjoy larger lots, mature oaks, a great friendly vibe, and marvelous 1960’s split levels in Pleasant Ridge Estates. My house in 2016, 194k, now $260k. Now, if only Lake Wheeler wasn’t a state road over 440 and we could have a nice multimodal bridge over the great chasm. Regardless, I love being <3 miles from DT in a house with a yard for the pup from $200-280k.

This home on my street was renovated nicely. Somehow, it transacted for $90k a few years ago

2 Likes

I live across LW from your neighborhood on Evergreen. I live almost at the end of the dead end and can get to work on my eBike in 15 minutes or the same or longer in a car. I am 1 mile from 440. Such a great location and I got in 5 years ago before the prices went up.

7 Likes

We just closed on a place wedged between downtown and Chavis park.

I just wanted to circle back around and thank everyone for their suggestions and advice. Excited to finally be living downtown after many years of dreaming and more than a few fits of wistful jealousy!

18 Likes

Welcome to the neighborhood

2 Likes

Congrats, we’ll be neighbors-ish!

1 Like

Thanks @Drew and @Justin6882 – you guys ever make it to the reader meetups? My gf and I are going to try to make it to the one at Transfer Co. on Wednesday. If I can maybe we’ll see you there!

3 Likes

One of us. One of us.

1 Like

I can’t this week unfortunately, I leave early Wednesday morning to go skiing in Utah. I would really like attend one of these meetups, but recently I’ve had other obligations previously planned. I am planning on making the next one, whenever that may be, I promise!

2 Likes

How about the DTRCAC on 2/19 at Clouds?

4 Likes

I have some work travel coming up soon, so I may be out of town that day, but I’ll definitely try to be there if I’m here!

A new thread…”Where is Roberto Gonna Buy”.

I’m under contract on the sell and will be renting for 6+months while I search. @pBeez, your first recommendation is out of my price range. Try again.

3 Likes

Give us the criteria and let the crowd go to work for you.

This could be interesting…not all set in stone:

• 2 Bedroom / 2 Bath
  • Covered Parking / Garage (1 spot fine)
  • 1200ish square feet
  • $350 - $430k
  • Condo / Townhouse
  • Well run HOA and reasonable/understandable dues
  • ITB but not directly downtown

What did I leave out?

4 Likes

^no garage

1 Like

Thanks @John. Those have come up in my searches as well as Oberlin Ridge and Bishops Park.

1 Like