Treasuring Chris Church Rezoning - 554 East Hargett St (Abode at Hargett)

26 SFH 1,000 ft. from the BRT, that’s malpractice.

5 Likes

2.05 acres according to the 2 parcels with “ ABODE DOWNTOWN SFR OWNER LLC”

12.68 units per acre

That’s not atrocious… but it’s also not deserving of that location

4 Likes

As I’ve said in other topics about the BRT and the sort of development happening along its corridor, this is just another example of not taking the density requirements seriously.

They technically still haven’t passed the new TOD requirements, correct?

1 Like

Not yet.
Should be very soon though

2 Likes

Woah! Does the TOD overlay actually implement density requirements/minimums? I thought all it did was raise the maximum allowed

1 Like

What I mean is that we are going to need a certain density to make BRT work. I have yet to see anything that suggests that we are going to get that. The more that this goes on, the more this whole thing feels like a glamour project instead of a serious attempt to free folks from cars.

5 Likes

Workmen and equipment still at the site

Plus this is going up next door: https://www.row12raleigh.com/

4 Likes

Some fun local color - across the street is the beautiful Thompson School building: https://www.wymlapta.com/historical-archives

15 Likes

Nice history. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Seems like East Raleigh is really becoming a nice little neighborhood with a mix of housing. Would be nice to see more neighborhood shops popping up further into the neighborhood.

13 Likes

Not loving the front-loading garages

2 Likes

Given that they face a side street and don’t have any other road access, I think there wasn’t much choice in the matter.

9 Likes

I hate how garages are becoming a required part of homes. Most people I know seem to just use the space as storage, maybe a workshop, and never park their cars there. A nice car port over that driveway could provide almost as much protection for those who want it, and you could rearrange the house then to have a bonus room to appeal to remote workers. I bought an older home with no garage, so maybe I’m just out of touch with the average home buyer.

6 Likes

Wouldn’t a car sitting in every driveway be even more visually unappealing than garage doors and a stoop? At least kids can play in an empty driveway.

3 Likes

We have 2 cars and neither fits in our stupid tiny one car garage that our new construction home required. It’s great…

7 Likes

Its social engineering via nudging. You need to buy a smaller car so it will fit your garage.
Then the next meet up we are at, we will see how many DTR readers can fit in a small car!!

2 Likes

LOL we’ll put you in the trunk of my SmartCar.
Honestly, it’s nudging me to buy a bigger house with 2 or 3 normal sized garages. Waiting for the market to cool down tho.

1 Like

I suspect most of these homes will have a car sitting in the driveway anyway. Either because they own two cars, or because they use the garage for storage. Acknowledging that and designing a contemporary carport instead would look a lot nicer to me (and if you were a no-car household, your kids could play outside even in the rain)

2 Likes