VeLa Longview - 220 East Morgan St - Marbles Parking lot

The ASR for this project has been approved.

35 Likes

I hope the result is still something that looks VERY much like this!

29 Likes

I hope itā€™s sunset all day.

10 Likes

This angle reminds me of something Iā€™ve wondered a LOOOONG time - when will we ever see any interest/movement on this lot?

Honestly think this spot is perfect for a simple 20-story project. Ex:

16 Likes

This is the architecture that should set the standard for all architecture in Raleigh.

6 Likes

Isnā€™t that a state lot? Theyā€™re not exactly proactive about developing their acres of surface parking in Raleigh.

6 Likes

Believe a render (in addition to the typical elevation drawings) looking very much identical to yours is attached to the approved ASR plans. Unless the developer wants to start back from square 1, the time for significant design change has come and gone. It seems like they have been pretty quick to resubmit plans after getting comments, so that makes me hope the developer is interested in getting boots on the ground here.

Weā€™ll see how quickly they get these plans turned around for construction permitting. Something to keep an eye out for on the development portal.

20 Likes

Since it has been way past the thirty day appeal period, do you guys think this will be the next tower to rise in DTR? Or will it be the Nash Square apartment tower?

Is this still moving forward? I feel like so many of these announced projects are just quietly on hold.

3 Likes

I feel like itā€™s been that way for at least a decade. The more momentum these mixed developments gain like NH, The Exchange, Iron Works, Seaboard, etc. the less people will really care about downtown, IMO. I can see future downtown development moving away from downtowns core and being concentrated more around Glenwood South, Seaboard and the warehouse district. Wouldnā€™t surprise me in the future to see more of the original buildings at Cameron Village get torn down for taller development creating another mixed use district already filled with retail.

9 Likes

I think the city has to do something about our dead downtown it hasnā€™t been this dead in this way since the early 2000s. It just the pandemic obviously did a considerable amount of damage I think the ABC liquor store could bring it a boost to the restaurant scene, I think a public-private partnership with outdoor dining and live music could help it. But I see why developers donā€™t wanna build when a nightlife and other office like demand is simply down. Also with recession fears that might have an effect on it.

2 Likes

My neighborhood downtown is anything but dead. As more and more residences come on line, it will only get more lively.

16 Likes

I agree that more residents downtown is an important component to replace less office worker wallets. And they will be a more impactful consumers than the lunch crowd providing economic activity after hours.

Will take a few years but adding hundreds of units between VeLa Longview and the multiple residential projects planned for the block east of Moore Square nearly doubles the existing count that Skyhouse, Edison, Founders Row, and the condos attached to the Red Hat tower provide. Add The Acorn and the two (three?) planned hotels in that subarea and there will be a small town residing on a half-dozen blocks just east of Fayetteville.

18 Likes

Cool but how do we explain or get foot traffic on Fayetteville Street?

This tower has always been projected to start construction ā€œmid 2023ā€. That could honestly mean any time from late march - early september so thereā€™s no reason to believe this is on hold or delayed at least for another couple months. It feels like this and rusbus will be the next two towers to go vertical seeming as this has gone through the pre construction phases pretty fast so far. I also wonder if this has a better chance of being built thanks to Charlotte already having a sister Vela tower, kinda like how both cities got an FNB tower.

12 Likes

I hope they are still on track to break ground in mid-2023. Has anyone been by the site yet or heard anything new? Mid-2023 is almost in the rearview mirror.

1 Like

We already passed mid 2023.

Except for the Alexa apartments, nothing will probably break ground in the next 2 to 4 months. At least none of the 20+ tower projects have 100% permits approved.

1 Like

Drive by regularly, thereā€™s 0 evidence that anything is happening there.

2 Likes

Just checking in on this one. Any updates? I think this may be one of the more exciting, and also, geographically important projects proposed/approved for DTR as it expands eastward.

Any updates?

9 Likes