Village District developments

Don’t forget Johnson Street!

3 Likes

What do you suggest to improve its urban form?

1 Like

I think the suggestion is move. All hope is lost.

2 Likes

A minor update on Oberlin Rd. projects. The timing did not work out to combine the Oberlin resurfacing project between Roberts and Glenwood with the rebidding for the street scape project. So the resurfacing project will proceed separately and the street scape project will be rebid soon.

The city did look at feedback from a prior bidder on things that might be driving higher than expected costs, but there are no anticipated changes to the scope of work.

Not clear what will happen if bids are again significantly over budget.

10 Likes

From an armchair planner’s perspective, seems very shortsighted to resurface Oberlin now just to tear everything up in a year or two. Especially if construction costs continue to rise.

3 Likes

im still trying to get my head around a brt on new bern. brt to a redone tower shopping center? brt for all the nurses and doctors at wake med? brt for acre lots in Longview gardens and the old country club area across from new bern? brt for some folks seeking wake county services off of swinburne? are there that many thousands of riders justifying brt costs for these areas when just more efficient busses might and likely suffice? that one is still odd to me. but sure…covered bus stops on new bern, some type of bike lane-age for non-car short trips or even trips to the center, and signal priority for busses and graceful density…sound good, eh? with the sell and redo of old dmv and a (futuristic) demolish and redo of Longview shopping center, possibly a multi story assisted living bldg on new bern(?)…i think that form would be wise. portions of capital and saunders do need major help. i guess lotsa dollars for pedestrian features in front of a liquor distributor warehouse might be a way off.

1 Like

The two projects have only a small amount of overlap. Resurfacing is between Roberts St. and Glenwood. Streetscape is from Groveland Ave to just north of Roberts.

4 Likes

BRT for some stuff today and immediate benefit, but mostly BRT for the development of our city to expand beyond the downtown core with proper public transportation. In my eyes this is much more about what will be built vs what’s there now.

14 Likes

I think we need to start seeing serious housing density proposals around the BRT stations or the BRT risks failure in its initial phase, and I’m talking serious sorts of housing density, not low rise townhouses & quasi urban apartment complexes.

14 Likes

Anyone know if Benelux closed? Just saw their profile on IG saying it’s only a coffee roaster now and not operating cafes.

They sold the shop over a year ago. Benelux Cafe still exists with the same name and serving the same fare under the new owners.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW8hcffg98n/?igshid=NzAzN2Q1NTE=

3 Likes

Thank you for this info! I honestly missed this news, and I felt like I would’ve heard about or noticed if they had closed. I love their Belgian waffles with bacon and peanut butter and chocolate and strawberries with a stout to wash it down, because I’m good at healthy living.

8 Likes

Swung by the site today and there were a ton of people there, and they’ve gone vertical!

33 Likes

Sorry if this is posted somewhere already, but article in TBJ just posted about a luxury condo project in the Village District at 101 Enterprise St on half an acre. 53 units ranging from $500k-$1m+. $50M project. Start construction in the next 6-12 months.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t put too much stock in any timelines given by this developer. This is a Henry Lambert project. The same guy who had buyers that had given deposits sitting and waiting for years for the Lynde to start.

1 Like

Deja vu… haha this lot has been about to “start construction” for years now, I feel like

Noticed construction fencing around this (formerly) 1-story brick building on Oberlin last week, between the Bank of America on the corner and that semi-new student apartment complex- well, as of yesterday and this morning, someone is well on their way in demolishing it! No idea what’s planned or who owns the lot.

^taken from the BoA parking lot

10 Likes

That used to be a York Simpson Underwood Real Estate office. I think that they were bought out by some fancier RE brand?

1 Like

I saw this on LinkedIn a couple days ago and I think it’s gonna be a bank. In the little video on this post you see the same colored buildings in the background from the last picture in your post.

1 Like

OMFG ANOTHER DAMN SINGLE-USE BANK BRANCH BUILDING??? Seriously WTFFFFF :rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

9 Likes