Village District developments

Looks like the grim reaper corner strikes again!

Boardwalk to protect tree roots.

2 Likes

Renderings for the Oberlin Hilton Hotel

Looks perfect for the area honestly. And a curio collection too!

9 Likes

Saw on Instagram too. Not bad looking, should fit in well with the area. Excited for another rooftop restaurant/bar option.

22 Likes

Sigh, that’s… not their best work imo.

Looks like a jumbled together 5-over-1 with nicer stone than usual on the ground floor. I was hoping the Curio Collection tie in meant we were getting something close to Budleigh-level quality.

6 Likes

It looks like what I’d expect for Cameron Village. I think some of their other hotels were in these historical downtowns of old cities. If this was even in DTR, I’d be more critical. But it matches the Berkshire and stuff perfectly.

11 Likes

The article states it’ll be at the intersection of Cameron and Woodburn but I thought it was at Woodburn and Smallwood, no?

That was my understanding, the old K&W.

1 Like

Finally, we’re finally getting another brick building and Hilton brand hotel :brick:

2 Likes

I was hoping for our 14th Marriott with beige fake stucco, but so be it :rofl:

7 Likes

Hopefully the rooftop actually faces the skyline. It will be high enough to get a nice view.

9 Likes

You can catch a peek of DTR from the side of the Harris Teeter parking deck… one of my favorite views. This could be real nice.

8 Likes

Yep, looks like the rooftop terrace is on the Southeast corner of the building. Question is will it be tall enough to see over the Camden Apts?

1 Like

Those are at the bottom of a hill (this hotel should sit slightly higher, as it’s kind of on the upward slope of said hill) - so my money’s on yes!

3 Likes

Yeah, I was about to say the same thing. Camden sits along the creek at the lowest elevation in the Village District, while this hotel sits on higher land. Both buildings are about the same height, so you should be able to look over the apartments.
I just did a quick check on a topographic map online, and it seems that the elevation difference is ~40 feet. That should be enough to clear Camden.
FWIW, Harris Teeter sits another 30 ft higher, so their peek view from the SE parking lot should also be protected…I suppose that the same would be true for Starbuck’s.

5 Likes

Some other details from TBJ:

The project will also include a parking deck for use by hotel customers and visitors to the Village District.

The hotel’s sixth floor roof area will feature a “signature high-end restaurant” and rooftop bar promising views of Downtown Raleigh. Its lobby will also feature a cocktail bar along with a market-style cafe.

The property will include meeting and banquet space, a courtyard and covered patio, a stage for live music and on-site catering.

Construction is set to begin with the demolition of the former K&W Cafeteria building in late July. The hotel is slated to open in the summer of 2025.

19 Likes

This hotel is going to deliver before Kimpton (current hair curler Holiday Inn).

7 Likes

It’d help if they’d actually plan the demo of the Holiday Inn… been waiting on that with excitement forever

7 Likes

Before they do so, I want to see a giant art installation of them wrapping it with something that represents hair.

1 Like

Here’s that HT view from last October!

18 Likes