West Street Corridor

I approve! in at least 20 characters.

@Deb I LOVE that rumor. That puts them even closer to me!!!

4 Likes

That would be fantastic news. Hmmmm, do I keep walking to get to Weaver St market or just stop here at 5 star??

That would mean RUS BUS is probably moving faster too.

2 Likes

Looks like the 222 Glenwood parking garage is getting a makeover.

6 Likes

I was just commenting how dated and ugly that looked. Glad to see it looking a little fresher. I wonder if the new Five Star location building renovation had anything to do with it.

Can imagine at the time nobody expected there would be too many eyeballs staring at it from the east. Times, they are a-changin’

4 Likes

Guess that is not in spirit of Bob from 60’s but yep things are changing in Raleigh even if there are people that hate it.

At least they’re doing something, but in my eyes it’s just lipstick on a pig. :pig::lipstick:

3 Likes

I have a good friend who lives there. This work will continue to the whole building eventually. This is more about aging stucco than the aesthetics, they held an HOA vote a few months ago to approve it.

4 Likes

Why not partner with Raleigh Murals Project to do something actually fun and vibrant on the side of our parking decks. :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

So…tearing it down? IMO worst condo building in the city…from a point in time when people were buying most anything that went up. ( I know this is just about the deck but still…)

1 Like

I remember seeing the initial marketing sketches of 222 that were done to look like hand drawn renderings. After seeing the finished product, I understood why they used those sketches.

1 Like

West and Glenwood should be our new residential district of just high rise apartments and hotels, like a south beach

1 Like

Removing the word “just”, and substituting Harrington for Glenwood. I agree.

3 Likes

Except that south beach sucks. But Glenwood has definitely taken a turn in that direction

The west side (Bay side) of South Beach is a model for what Raleigh’s urban neighborhoods could be. It’s not all hotels, clubs, and tourists in South Beach. In that regards, I agree that Glenwood South and greater Smokey Hollow should aspire to be THAT South Beach.

3 Likes

The future Five Star building is coming along nicely and actually already has tenants in the back part of the building.

11 Likes

I’m loving that the old parking lot area is now an outdoor courtyard type space. This could be a really cool place when all is said and done.

4 Likes

Wondering what type of barrier they will use to keep people safely away from the tracks. The CSX freight trains go by (albeit slowly) their triangular patio about 8 times a day, including through the night.

1 Like