Who Remembers....?

I was really bummed when the fountain was removed. That was part of the first renovation of Crabtree when the mall owners started installing “modern” lighting in bright cylindrical tubes in primary colors. This was before the skylights were installed to flood certain areas with natural light. If I’m correct, the current iteration of Crabtree is 3rd generation in terms of its aesthetic. Frankly, it’s well overdo for a 4th generation, but that likely needs to include a substantial re-envisioning of its function as well.

3 Likes

Born in ‘82, I don’t remember the tree. And the cafeteria I do remember was in Belks (the Capital Room). I do remember the Hardee’s over where Barnes &Noble is now. And Schiano’s Pizza and the Great American Cookie Company, yum.

2 Likes

Oh yes, the Capital Room. That was the “fancy” cafeteria for those who were too good for Piccadilly.

1 Like

“too good for piccadilly” and too new money for Balentine’s, lol. :innocent:
I remember the fountain well, and believe that even at an early age thought it was hideous, lol.
Riding down the escalator at Hudson-Belks this past week I was talking with my wife about the Capitol Room and the kid’s Christmas shop they had on the 3rd floor. I actually took her to the Capitol Room shortly after we were married. That was high living.

1 Like

My mom loved Balentine’s Cafeteria because I think it was free kids meals at lunch or something. She was very sad when it closed.

1 Like

I loved it because I was always going to see someone I knew, lol. It was like a cafeteria-style Cheers.
That’s one of the things I love about living in my one-horse town now.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a helluva lot easier being anonymous in Raleigh these days. Back then you couldn’t get away with anything (think teenagers) without someone calling your mamma.

2 Likes

I find it incredibly disconcerting when I’m out in public and run into someone that I know. I never expect that to happen.

3 Likes

We moved here the first time in 1970. Crabtree wasn’t there. We lived in the Ranch Motel (Oak Park) for a few weeks. We moved away in 1976 and returned in 1978. That time we lived at the HoJo at Crabtree for 2.5 months.

3 Likes

This conversation has me hungry for some Mr Dunderbak’s. Sigh…

4 Likes

Musing how in 20 years all the current college kids will be nostalgic for their favorite bars on Glenwood South that have all gotten replaced with tall mixed use buildings…

6 Likes

One can hope!!! :wink: :pray:t3: :building_construction:

4 Likes