Who Remembers....?

@OakCityDylan and I had bar food after the Smoky Hollow tour just now at My Way Tavern on the corner of St Mary’s and Johnson. I was telling him that it used to be an ice cream place, but I can’t remember the name of it. This would have been 15+ years ago. Does anyone remember the name of it?

31 Flavors and 20 characters?

I wasn’t born yet, you old timers…

Good try. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Can’t remember the ice cream place but it was a seafood place called Hook Up. Lol.

2 Likes

Before the Hookup, I think it was an Italian restaurant. Prior to that it was the BBQ and Ribs Company. Even before that I believe it was a crab shack type of restaurant. That would’ve been 2003ish. Never experienced an ice cream spot there. Talk about a cursed location.

1 Like

I was trying to remember the name of that place because they had excellent soft serve creations. I presume that it was just too big of a space to support the rent based on just ice cream. I know that if I hear the name, it will instantly resonate with me.

1 Like

I don’t remember a Baskin-Robbins there. But honestly I’m not sure I went there until the Two Guy’s guy opened up his Italian restaurant.

It wasn’t a BR. @OakCityDylan wasn’t anywhere near Raleigh at that time!
My mind is thinking something like Cool Mountain, or something like that.

2 Likes

Good memory. Looks like it opened in 1998.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/1998/09/14/newscolumn3.html

One tidbit in the article, there were 88,000 people living within 3 miles of the spot then. I wonder what it is today.

2 Likes

Holy crap. I did remember the name after all. It came to me while I was laying in bad and ready to fall asleep.

2 Likes

Maaaan, my fam used to go to that Cool Mountain almost weekly. We went mainly for the sandwiches - I think I would always get the Mt. Shasta. Then they opened up one at Six Forks and Wake Forest so we started going to that one instead. Weird, I don’t even remember them having ice cream?

1 Like

Conversely, I ONLY went there for ice cream. Their sundae creations were yummy! Unfortunately, I think that they were unable to compete with Goodberry’s.

Ciago’s was great. Their pizza was delicious.

1 Like

Cool Mountain! image

See all the other incarnations.

6 Likes

Yep. That building was purposely built to be Cool Mountain.

1 Like

Wow, that grade is very different than what is there now… I think the sidewalk is currently at least 3’ above the seating under that colonnade.

edit: I see why, the colonnade is now indoors, there’s a new patio and roof pushing directly to the sidewalk now.