Who Remembers....?

@OakCityDylan and I had bar food after the Smoky Hollow tour just now at My Way Tavern on the corner of St Mary’s and Johnson. I was telling him that it used to be an ice cream place, but I can’t remember the name of it. This would have been 15+ years ago. Does anyone remember the name of it?

31 Flavors and 20 characters?

I wasn’t born yet, you old timers…

Good try. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Can’t remember the ice cream place but it was a seafood place called Hook Up. Lol.

2 Likes

Before the Hookup, I think it was an Italian restaurant. Prior to that it was the BBQ and Ribs Company. Even before that I believe it was a crab shack type of restaurant. That would’ve been 2003ish. Never experienced an ice cream spot there. Talk about a cursed location.

1 Like

I was trying to remember the name of that place because they had excellent soft serve creations. I presume that it was just too big of a space to support the rent based on just ice cream. I know that if I hear the name, it will instantly resonate with me.

1 Like

I don’t remember a Baskin-Robbins there. But honestly I’m not sure I went there until the Two Guy’s guy opened up his Italian restaurant.

It wasn’t a BR. @OakCityDylan wasn’t anywhere near Raleigh at that time!
My mind is thinking something like Cool Mountain, or something like that.

2 Likes

Good memory. Looks like it opened in 1998.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/1998/09/14/newscolumn3.html

One tidbit in the article, there were 88,000 people living within 3 miles of the spot then. I wonder what it is today.

2 Likes

Holy crap. I did remember the name after all. It came to me while I was laying in bad and ready to fall asleep.

2 Likes

Maaaan, my fam used to go to that Cool Mountain almost weekly. We went mainly for the sandwiches - I think I would always get the Mt. Shasta. Then they opened up one at Six Forks and Wake Forest so we started going to that one instead. Weird, I don’t even remember them having ice cream?

1 Like

Conversely, I ONLY went there for ice cream. Their sundae creations were yummy! Unfortunately, I think that they were unable to compete with Goodberry’s.

Ciago’s was great. Their pizza was delicious.

1 Like

Cool Mountain! image

See all the other incarnations.

7 Likes

Yep. That building was purposely built to be Cool Mountain.

1 Like

Wow, that grade is very different than what is there now… I think the sidewalk is currently at least 3’ above the seating under that colonnade.

edit: I see why, the colonnade is now indoors, there’s a new patio and roof pushing directly to the sidewalk now.

I remember all of this. My family moved to Raleigh in Jan. of 74, and we “lived” in the Ramada Inn for the first few weeks on the hill to Crabtree’s immediate east.

7 Likes

I was just reading this. Pretty neat. I obviously have no memory of this, being born in 1982 and not moving here until 2009. Funny enough, the favorite local mall where I grew up had a long, slow decline and finally got bulldozed within the last decade, but there’s a parody Facebook account that shares faux contemporary posts once in awhile. Just saw someone share a walkthrough of the mall as it was about to close, and all the feels and nostalgia came washing over me. So totally identify with this look back at Crabtree Valley.

1 Like