William Peace and Seaboard Station

@mike thanks for the PDF. I was a bit meh about it’s bulkiness but the project plans make me warm up to it.

The extensive brick is nice. Great street action. Replaces some one story stuff. Seven stories with hotel and residences and retails. Did I see a roof top bar? It’s another great project for downtown Raleigh.

9 Likes

ugh.Generic AF. Also making me dread what we end up with at RUSbus… Hopefully they have a better design team for that.

3 Likes

If I can have but one Thanksgiving wish it would be for Night Kitchen to stay open. Well, or to move closer to me. If I could have but two Thanksgiving wishes …

1 Like

And all the kids around the world hold hands and sing in harmony… Oh wait, that was Steve Martin’s Christmas wish… DOH!!

1 Like

I’m in agreement with those who are not inspired by the architecture. It already looks very dated IMO.

5 Likes

It looks like your run of the mill medical plaza on Blue Ridge. FAR from inspiring or even interesting. I do like it better than what’s there, but not impressed by any stretch.

4 Likes

If IIIIIIIII was the architect, I’d be hella inspiring.

2 Likes

I assume I’m not the only one who’s absolutely sick and tired of these buildings that are brick from first floor to 2nd-to-last floor, then concrete just for the top floor. Who seriously thinks this looks good??? Why is literally every 5-7 story project like this???

5 Likes

The wife and I were walking around in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico today and we were talking about the varying architecture in some of the new construction around town… and complaing about the generic brick boxes that get built all over Raleigh. Then I get on here and see this crap.

2 Likes

ROI…it’s simple. Inspiring costs extra…

These guys put the Wharf together. Fair…but not truly inspiring either…

I’m a little puzzled by all the negativity. This is zoned for 7 stories, right? The developer is delivering 7 stories of hotel and resi with ground floor retail and underground parking. It is taking the place of an empty lot and a former Hardee’s.

Can someone point to a bunch of recently delivered hotel or multi-family, 7 stories or less, that is better than this? I think this is about the best you can get with that restrictive zoning.

10 Likes

What a bummer I was really envisioning something like this for this site

19 Likes

I suppose it’s true that’s all we can really hope for around here. It’s definitely uniform and fits in with the rest of the recently delivered stuff around here

I am happy for the added density and ground floor retail, so there’s that.

3 Likes

Are you asking us to show you examples from Raleigh that are better than this, or any example that’s better than this? If it’s the latter, this community can come up with a LOT of examples.

I was just surprised at all the negativity, and I was wondering what people’s expectations were. So yeah, I was wondering if there was a recently delivered project here that people thought was better.

But if you have something in mind from a comprable metro to Raleigh that would be interesting to see.

I mean I agree the project isn’t anything inspirational but I’m not sure why people would expect something inspirational from a 7-story project on one block in a midsize Southern Metro. Not every project is going to be a new iconic landmark. I think this is good infill development and I’m curious why everyone was bashing it so hard.

9 Likes

Not expecting a new iconic landmark, but would love to see some variety around here.

2 Likes

Because that’s what everyone does here. I’m with you, personally.

3 Likes

It sure beats an old Hardee’s. In all honesty, this area, combined wth Smoky Hollow, is starting to look more like a repurposed warehouse/mill district.

6 Likes

It must be all the micheladas I’m drinking here in Mexico, because I’m feeling unnecessarily salty about all this.

2 Likes