William Peace and Seaboard Station

Thanks for the update.

Your note about parking for Block A, going into Block B made me take another look at this.

Sure enough, Block B will have a lot of underground parking. 2.5 or 3 levels of it, plus part of the ground floor being used for parking as well.

Block A will have some parking, still underground, but not as much of it. Maybe a single level.

Looks like Block C is conceptually planned as a conventional Texas Donut.

4 Likes

Kinda disappointed thereā€™s no height or higher density planned for any of the phases.

2 Likes

Compared with most recent developments these are at least more like 10 story buildings, since most of the parking will be underground.

Honestly although I think a 7 story zoning limit here is stupid, 7 floors above ground here is kinda fine with me.

3 Likes

yea I mean its fine. just woulda like to see block C around 12-15 floors to add some variation (like smokey hollow). feel like its going to be a very homogenous feel to the area.

4 Likes

I wonder what this development will do to this block. Looks like an obvious piece they would want to add but according to imaps appears to be multiple different owners (and uses)

3 Likes

Any details or pics of the fountain?

IMO, Raleigh is particularly weak in the area of fountains and water features. City Plaza, the one in front of the Performing Art Center, and the splash pad at renovated Moore Square are all sad/nonfunctional.

Hoping we get cool ones at Dix Park and Midtown Exchange.

10 Likes

Nothing. :slight_smile: It was mentioned a few times and I feel like fountains get mentioned a lot on this forum ( :grin:) so I made note of it. Agree, it would be great to see more water features in Raleigh.

7 Likes

22 Likes

Finally! I liked the way it was 5 years ago, but at this point that whole area is dead. Not super excited about the plans for the new stuff, and I havenā€™t really been able to visualize it, and the timeline makes me think itā€™s going to be very disjointed and not a ā€œdrawā€ for many years. That being said, Iā€™m pretty excited just to see it come to life!

9 Likes

would love to see the gas station disappearā€¦multiple owners is always a challenge because somebody always thinks his/her property is worth more than the guys directly next door and can hold up a deal for years. This is what happened in Cameron Village for the buyout of those older townhouses

Thatā€™s the cheapest gas around, and I get 5 cents off at Shell. I try to fill up there once a week when Iā€™m downtown! :smiley:

1 Like

I would miss the drive through at that gas station if they did get rid of it. Makes it easy for a quick beer run lol

2 Likes

It use to be one of the best places to buy beer underage back when the drinking age was 18, lol.

2 Likes

Somebody really needs to design a better urban model gas station. We canā€™t just make them all go away, but we should demand better for our cities than a suburban model station.

6 Likes

In Rome, IT, they are just a couple gas pumps along the street, between it and the sidewalk. Always found that very strange, but they small and donā€™t take up too much space.

I fear for Night Kitchen. One of my favorite places in town.

3 Likes

The challenge is that stations make money on the OTHER stuff that you buy when you fill upā€¦a 20 oz diet coke, a bag of ice, a candy bar, a cup of coffee, etc. The Italian model likely wonā€™t work in the usa.
What if that shell station was a walk-up convenience store that was pushed to the sidewalk. It could be long and narrow with a grill/sandwich shop aspect with a walk up window for ordering like DeMoā€™s pizza on Glenwood. Behind the long narrow shop could be a linear set of pumps with a single bypass lane and one direction traffic in and out. ā€¦just an idea.

4 Likes

Bye bye!
:wave:t3:

BTW these should qualify as pretty fresh pics (PFPs).

29 Likes

Holy crap, I didnā€™t realize that was happening today! I might swing by there to check it out.

Bring the marshmallows and Iā€™ll bring the firewood.

6 Likes