William Peace and Seaboard Station

Sheesh, that crane really puts the scale of that site into perspective.

10 Likes

Those look like toy trucks!

5 Likes

28 Likes

Midday update.

29 Likes

Curious how visible this is from Capital southbound into downtown… we can presume the final height of the building will be about 50ft beneath the arm of the crane, so if this peeks up high enough and is super prominent from that angle, it will certainly mean the building will add some “skyline” to the East in that already super dense view as you drive into the city from North Raleigh!

2 Likes

…though I will say, this crane seems rather short to build 7 stories from ground level - which would be around 9 stories from the bottom of the underground parking (if I’m not mistaken in the development plans…)

Baby crane

19 Likes

Just guessing, but the height we see today may be just the maximum of the mobile crane and the tower will “climb” as the building grows.

https://www.cnstrctr.com/blog/a-guide-to-construction-tower-cranes/

9 Likes

I am just happy to see another crane going up in the downtown area.

15 Likes

It’s hard to capture the scale of this dig in pictures.

34 Likes

Surprised no one is talking about the Block C plans submitted a few days ago:

“New construction, mixed use development including residential, retail, restaurant, and an integrated parking deck.”

7 stories, 220 apartments, 507 parking spots.

13 Likes

I feel like they’re turning seaboard station into just a bunch of standard apartments. Kind of disappointing.

6 Likes

That certainly won’t be unique for the area.

1 Like

Unique, not really. But if they actually get vendors to fill the retail down below, it could be a great area to walk around. The key is then filling all the retail. Downtown Raleigh really lacks a dense area of shops/restaurants in one small cluster.

To add hoping Smoky Hollow is the first to fill that void.

7 Likes

Was gonna be my thoughts as well, sure it’s a bunch of apartments and (possibly) a hotel, but with each building including multiple street level retail spaces, in conjunction with the existing Seaboard Station shops, this area will become quite walkable and possibly more of a destination if there’s enough “destination” retail/restaurants.

2 Likes

If we are going to just have more 5 over 1 construction, at least make the facades more creative/compelling.

7 Likes

That I can 110% agree with, my god.

1 Like

TBJ just posted an article about this development as well.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/04/26/hoffman-assoicates-seaboard-station-next-phase.html?ana=TRUEANTHEMTWT_RA&csrc=6398&taid=60870db90266c00001329dc1&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

"Plans for the residential portion of the project feature 156 one-bedroom units, 60 two-bedroom units and four three-bedroom units. No square footage was available for the retail and restaurant portion.
The project will also include an integrated parking deck. "

7 Likes

Pretty sure the rendering is of Block A (hotel /apartment phase directly on Peace St on hold). And I guess they are starting with Blocks B and C?

I think what people sometimes overlook is that it’s not just retail that draws people; it’s creating an interesting sense of place that attracts tenants and visitors alike.

1 Like