William Peace and Seaboard Station

rough combined site plan for the blocks A, B, & C…

16 Likes

This area needs better connections to the rest of downtown. Peace is a stroad at the end of the day, and it combines with the government complex and capital blvd to make north downtown seem like a bit of an island.

5 Likes

Indeed, probably never will be ‘connected’ but helps add density and dwellers to bolster a district with what’s happening around Person St.

4 Likes

Yup. Downtown above the parking lot wasteland largely does its off-the-cuff eating/drinking/shopping on Person Street.

Source: I live on the north side of downtown

1 Like

30 Likes

Slightly different angle. You can see the three stages that different pieces of the floorplan are on - front left is almost topped out, front right has consistently stayed a couple floors below (probably to let that mobile crane swing freely), and the back of the building has barely grown beyond the concrete base (maybe they’re waiting to move the mobile crane over?).

23 Likes

Tomorrow Tues. 2/8 at 8pm there will be a zoom meeting to discuss Logan’s redevelopment plans.
I was under the impression they would not consider redevelopment for several years, but I guess they are getting the ball rolling.

8 Likes

Feel like you could do something really cool in that location. Hope we get creative

7 Likes

Agreed. I’d love to see a developer opt to tie in the history of the train station somehow. Not in a hokey way, but in a way that incorporates things like the rail platform as a design element. Lots of potential with a little creativity.

10 Likes

Meeting ongoing now. 708 total apartments. 20 stories.

34 Likes

Love the height and density but losing the old train station is a real, real shame. That thing should be landmarked and restored.

14 Likes

For what it’s worth, the Cotton Mill isn’t going anywhere; it has historical designation. It’s pointless to show the context of this proposal with those 12 floor parcels fully realized.
Speaking of the Cotton Mill, I’m sure that the residents that currently face east toward a cute train station inspired garden nursery are just going to LOVE looking at the back ass of a tall parking garage.

8 Likes

I love that they’re assuming the full heights of SH3 and Zimmer :joy:. Hopefully they end up close to 40.

7 Likes

While I will agree with you here…never say never!
Remember the original 1898 First Citizens Bank building in DTR with all of it’s gargoyles and handcrafted mosaics?

1 Like

I think that they want to show all of the other developments as taller so that this one doesn’t stand out too much. In this way, you keep the NIMBY’s at bay? :thinking:

3 Likes

Woah such a beautiful storage building and gas station ruined by new development casting a shadow!!!

5 Likes

Turnbridge may update the plans to adapt the project to keep some of the historic buildings.

16 Likes

Looking at this again, the garage isn’t facing the Cotton Mill. It’s facing the storage building to the north of it. I think that is a pretty good solution actually. I misread it previously. As for 20 stories of residential on the other side of the tracks, that doesn’t bother me at all.

5 Likes

I am ok with redevelopment of train stations and if this means demoing and building a new one then by all means. I am ok with keeping some architecture but Raleigh is growing and it’s no longer a small city to have that small city feeling.

3 Likes

Looks like the plan is to keep the train station canopy… maybe still some opportunity for a bike path connection along the tracks here and some activation of the canopy similar to the Ponce area of the Altanta Beltline path?

14 Likes