William Peace and Seaboard Station

34 Likes

This has the potential to be linked with whatever happens with the eventual, (supposedly pending) S-line purchase.

1 Like

Now that would be awesome! :+1:

1 Like

Are those solar panels on the overhang?

1 Like

Zooming in on my app, I don’t “think” so.

2 Likes

I’m nearly certain Logans had a sign out front for a long time indicating they have solar through NC Solar Now (remember it cause that is where we got our panels from too). That’s a big array though if all of those are panels! :sun_with_face:

12 Likes

I believe these are solar panels. 98%

7 Likes

Need you to land the bird on one and see if it starts charging :joy:

4 Likes

40 Likes

Those wood frame buildings sure go up in a hurry.

19 Likes

They can also burn down in a hurry.

9 Likes

I was thinking the exact same thing :fire: :fire_engine:

1 Like

Although I’m no fan of 5-over-1s, I think these are sometimes unfairly depicted as unsafe/prone to fire. That’s true during construction, before fire barriers and sprinkler systems are installed, but in their final form they are not nearly as vulnerable as people sometimes make them seem.

16 Likes

My fave example of completed, and sprinkled wood frame apartments. Burned multiple blocks, even with NY fire boats pumping water because all the fire trucks where pumping city water system dry.

Technically speaking almost any large building can have a catastrophic fire. Look at that awful one in the Bronx last week - the Twin Parks tower was about as steel-and-concrete as they get.

6 Likes

The point of building codes is to save lives, not to eliminate fires. Fires happen.

Per NFPA, multifamily structure fire deaths in America have dropped 60% since 1980, even as the number of multifamily units has increased 48%. The fire death rate for apartments is HALF as high as for 1/2-family houses, and the death rate per reported fire has fallen by 43% since 1980 – quite unlike the death rate for house fires, which has actually risen. Again, the point of building codes is to save lives, not to eliminate fires, and they’re working.

Apartment residents are less likely than house residents to die in fires – and also to drive cars, and therefore to die in car crashes… and car crashes kill 100X as many Americans as apartment fires.

I recently stayed in a brand-new hotel in Philadelphia which was built on a site damaged in a 1991 high-rise fire and vacant until, well, 2021. That fire was caused, basically, by spontaneous combustion (linseed oil oxidized). Fires can’t be prevented, but they can be mitigated.

10 Likes

That was a bad fire … a lot of firefighters died in that. The building was an eyesore as developers tried to rehab it the building but had problems figuring it out.

1 Like

Saw on the Wire where they’re requesting a 20 story rezoning on the Logans property. Not sure if this has been discussed before. There were a few interesting ones on the Wire.

1 Like

Sprinklers being one of best contributing factors to fire safety as it relates to the general public. To my knowledge, there’s never been a multiple fatality fire in the United States in buildings with operational sprinkler systems. In fact, the Meridian Fire in Philly which killed 3 firefighters, burned 5 or 6 floors (under renovation) uncontrolled until it reached a floor with operational sprinklers where it was quickly brought under control. Sprinklers save lives, and I’d encourage each of you to look into installing them if you ever build a home. Sprinklers cost roughly the same as carpet per square foot when installed during the initial build. Solid investment in my opinion.

15 Likes

It looks BIG from the Peace quad. Helping it feel like a city school on more than one side.

30 Likes