William Peace and Seaboard Station

Stopped by Logans and got a new angle on this project. Looks like this project only has a few more months before the crane goes down.

28 Likes

That looks like the top. Looks like the top section of the studs is the framing for the roof parapet.

Yeah, I think that they only go 5 floors in wood frame.

1 Like

New renderings of the B and C blocks from Cline Design

35 Likes

Looks like a blander version of North Hills east, except the roads are wetter and there’s no tall buildings.

Thank you for sharing, though…interesting to have a better idea what’s coming.

Everything new sure seems to be falling into a similar design pattern, a neo-industrial loft kind of look, at least to my eye. These new designs at least have some variations in set backs and such, so I think they are an improvement. Still, I’d like to see something clever or unique.

9 Likes

Yup. At least it’s walkable, and drives more foot traffic across Glenwood South to Person Street (and hopefully builds momentum to build up the state parking lots/office buildings gap).

William Peace students should love all the activity next to campus, too.

20 Likes

Is it though? It’s going to be walkable once you’re there, for sure. Coincidentally, we took a walk over there and back from Smoky Hollow on Saturday. It was surprising how disconnected it feels from the rest of downtown. Walking along Peace St there just feels like you’re on a highway, with very little around. If the Zimmer and Smoky Hollow 3 projects ever happen, it might help a little.

I’m just worried this development is going to basically be an isolated apartment node, with rotating retail like a nail salon, a gym, a hair salon, fast casual something, etc. and not really much of an asset to downtown, other than more residents.

I’ll give myself a grumpy cat…

10 Likes

I think walking to Person Street should feel just fine - Peace feels more like a street on that side of Capital, and you can cut through the WPU campus, which is really pleasant.

The Capital underpass and especially the railway one with its gross, bird-poop-covered sidewalk are a big psychological barrier, but I think young people especially will at least walk over during the day, but might Uber back at night.

I think the state govt campus contributes to that feeling more actually.

17 Likes

Right! Imagine once that HUGE surface lot that fronts Peace (almost across the st from Seaboard) and the parking deck in the back are redeveloped. So long as they have some street activation on Peace, I think that would do wonders to making Peace more urbanized and connected to Glenwood south. Add in the potential Zimmer lot, and I think it’ll be great.

2 Likes

Yup that and the crossings by the Capital on-ramp weren’t the best. I may not be a young people anymore, but it wasn’t like it was a crazy feat to do it. I’m sure the residents in Seaboard would walk over to GloSo and SmoHo. I just don’t see other people really doing the reverse and wandering over to Seaboard since it seems not well connected and doesn’t have much to offer now. I guess that was my point.

3 Likes

Once the city works on the long delayed Peace Street streetscape improvements it should really help. Walking from the Village to Seaboard Station is really awful except for that section between West Street and just before the railway bridge.

This is just gross:

10 Likes

SO MUCH POTENTIAL for a pedestrian focused retail corridor along this stretch of Peace (and in the streets between it and St. Marys)

11 Likes

The very one thing only, I liked about Ex Governor McCrory was his vision for the Capital District called Project Phoenix,he had a plan to modernize and bring mix use development along with New or Renovated State Government buildings and integrate them with the rest of Downtown.

12 Likes

Really wish they would incorporate an Anthem style music venue in this project like Hoffman did at the Wharf. This would be an awesome part of downtown to have a state-of-the-art indoor venue. It would take a ton of shows away from the Ritz, but would be so much more convenient.

23 Likes

Literally any new music venue would be fantastic…

The diy music scene needs diy venues to play at but unfortunately we don’t have a ton of old warehouses/buildings to be cheaply converted into venues. Anything newly constructed would have to be big enough to book successful touring acts. The “corporate but small/local” venues like Tin Roof have too much overhead to take risks on local original acts of expanding diy touring acts and mostly book cover bands.

It would be nice if a venue the size of the Ritz (or DPAC) was downtown… Or if touring bands stopped at Duke memorial. Just my observations

9 Likes

What’s the venue type we’re getting over at midtown exchange

1 Like

How are they going to be able to call it ‘Seaboard Station’ when there may not be any more Seaboard Station. Just sayin’

5 Likes

Not sure, but it won’t be downtown. The Ritz is already very close to midtown exchange. Have you been?