William Peace and Seaboard Station

I heard somewhere they were considering just dropping the “William,” kind of like how the Golden State Warriors or Illinois Fighting Illini kept their names and just dropped the Native mascots.

5 Likes

Peace College? Hope nobody threw out their old t-shirts.

3 Likes

Why did they ever add the William in the first place?

1 Like

When I was growing up in the 70s, I thought that Peace St. was about peace, not someone named Peace. I would guess that the vast majority of people who see that name for the first time will think the same thing.

11 Likes

Agreed, that seems by far the most sensible thing to do. Drop “William”, name it Peace University, and have it be named for the concept, not the person.

11 Likes

In the end, nearly all names (even city names that are street names) could end up being seen as problematic if you start scratching the surface. One could argue that anything named for colonizing Europeans is problematic because of Native American genocide (both intentional and unintentional through disease), displacement, etc.

5 Likes

Right, like wasn’t Walter Raleigh himself kinda a piece of shit? So what do we do about our entire city’s name? Some of these name issues just gotta be let go, as at the end of the day, they are exactly what 99.99% of people see - just a random name that means nothing to them. Very different than the confederate statues and flags which are just blatantly anti-American.

8 Likes

Was part of their change from a college to a university (there is a difference) so they re-branded just a bit.

1 Like

There’s a small movement not to totally rename cities, but refer to which Native American land the city sits on. So for Raleigh, you could say you’re in Raleigh but also mention that you’re currently on Skarureh/Tuscarora/Lumbee land. They’re called Land Acknowledgement Statements and I’ve been seeing them more and more at the start of meetings, webinars, etc.

2 Likes

Let’s just skip the BS and call every city Pangaea

4 Likes

I mean fine, whatever, but people are 100% not going to add that into their sentences when referring to any given city. “I just visited Raleigh which sits on Skarureh/Tuscarora/Lumbee land” or “Apple has announced plans to build a new office in Raleigh, NC which sits on Skarureh/Tuscarora/Lumbee land” ? …yeah right hahahahaha

2 Likes

I’m seriously not trying to sound like a dick, but at a certain point this shit just becomes overkill.

3 Likes

I mean I’m not trying to be insensitive, but history is literally a chronology of land ownership changing. And it wasn’t usuaully done the way Raleigh annexes unincorporated land. I’m all for a business or institution or residents of a street changing a name that honors some Confederate traitor or awful person. But we’re not going to rename every city that was named after someone who did something wrong by today’s standards. It would just be endless and gets into Animal Farm type of revisionist nonsense.

12 Likes

This is kind of what Canada does in any official government meeting. They acknowledge first nation peoples.

3 Likes

Except their initials would be PU. Now I see why they added the William.

2 Likes

Reminds me of Austin Peay State University’s cheer: “Let’s go Peay!”

2 Likes

Isn’t that the same for Purdue?

1 Like

My university does this. The following statement is often attached to emails or in official statements:

ECU Indigenous Land Acknowledgement : We acknowledge the Tuscarora people, who are the traditional custodians of the land on which we work and live, and recognize their continuing connection to the land, water, and air that Greenville consumes. We pay respect to eight recognized tribes; Coharie, Eastern Band of Cherokee, Haliwa-Saponi, Lumbee, Meherrin, Occaneechi Band of Saponi, Sappony, and Waccamaw-Siouan, all Nations, and their elders past, present, and emerging.

1 Like

They don’t seem to use to heir initials like other universities. Probably because they are PU. They just go by Purdue.

Elders emerging…? Interesting…

Leo gonna have to shut this one down haha.
I’ll just add this, and then I’m OUT; The intentions here are good, but the execution may cause more harm than intended. This recognizing the indigenous movement does feed into certain conspiracies about the future of US society, critical theory, etc. Probably just going to help accelerate the social war and give Russian meddlers more fodder to play with. OK I’M OUT.