101 New Homes off Poole Rd

3123 Poole Rd. I saw this subdivision doc, and was surprised by the number of homes. When was the last development with this many homes ITB? Someone named Nathan Becker who lives on Oxford Rd (wonder if he voted against the sidewalks) is developing it. Never heard of Becker Interest Group developing anything before, so it surprised me on the size.

Around 32 town homes and 69 SFH. All of it is by right because it is a big property with 19.7 Acres of R-10 and 7.4 acres of R-6. The town homes are good, but overall kind of just a suburban development. Would love to see more of a mix of building types and uses. They are building a new bus shelter as part of this which is good because there is a bus every 15 minutes that takes 19 minutes to get downtown.

6 Likes

This would be great if they set up a few shops along Poole Rd instead of the tree conservation area.

1 Like

Wow thanks for sharing! I wonder what long term will happen with the Raleigh Country Club between Poole and New Bern

2 Likes

Yeah, the country club is an extremely silly land use for that area. It could be a 40 acre park with ~500 homes with the current (suburban) R-6 Zoning. If you did any good type of planned development with a mix of uses, the change in tax value from just doing that to the golf course would probably fund 50 or more new affordable units for the city every year.

3 Likes

It’s the only golf course in that part of Raleigh and it’s a Donald Ross designed course built in 1948. It has recently been ranked as the best course in Wake County. Let’s not be so quick to toss it aside for the sake of what some would think of as progress.

9 Likes

Ehhh your mileage may vary but I’m gonna toss it aside. A private country club along a BRT corridor in one of the poorest neighborhoods in the city doesn’t do it for me. Not a good use of this land in 2019.

5 Likes

You clearly haven’t played the course…

5 Likes

It’s really that nice? I figured the types of people that would play golf had since moved on to courses in the suburbs by now.

Yes, it is that nice. It’s also the last course Donald Ross designed before his passing. The part of town and surrounding neighborhood has little affect on the maintenance and overall up-keep of the course.
Being ranked 2018’s best golf course in Wake County by the North Carolina Golf panel, is not by mistake.

5 Likes

I’m not sure it matters since the club isn’t going anywhere. There are too many golf courses in the country but classic ones like this will have a lot more staying power than the typical neighborhood golf course that doesn’t have the same prestige.

4 Likes

Probably true. https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article77494337.html

1 Like

The reality is, despite it being technically ITB, it’s to the other side of a country club/golf course and completely suburban. There’s nothing about this location that’s even remotely urban in nature.

5 Likes

I think we would agree that this is not a big urban location today. The issue for me is that Raleigh is growing a lot, and even 3 miles from the center of downtown we are building the same way as 20 miles out. That is not sustainable and we are in some ways building the type of neighborhoods that will fight future density once they are built. For this particular location there are a surprising number of things people would want to live around, and it has really good public transportation to downtown or to the hospital.

To me the following sound like amenities that you would want to build missing middle type housing around to let people live near and walk to.

1. A grocery store (10 minute walk)
  2. Six Restaurants (10 minutes walk)
  3. Child Care (2 minute walk)
  4. Worthdale Park (10 minutes walk)
  5. Walnut Creek Greenway Trail (11 minute walk)
  6. Elementary School (8 minutes walk)
  7. A local library (25 minutes walk)
  8. Post Office (14 minutes walk)
  9. Two Pharmacies are (28 minute walks or 18 minutes bus ride)
    That does not sound like way out in the country to me.

The big kicker in my opinion for this site is that there is currently bus service to the middle of downtown, that comes every 15 minutes and take 19 minutes to get downtown. If you let the area build up just a little bit with 3 story buildings that might have some a shop or two at the ground floor on the corner. That could be a smarter way for Raleigh to grow than requiring single family homes spread out across land that is 3 miles from downtown.

I am not saying something radical needs be done there, but why not allow and add stuff like this?

or try this

Check out this graph from a survey Wake Gov County survey. I think it speaks to the need to change how we think of areas like this.

10 Likes

7 Likes

This plan has its flaws, but it does maximize the density as allowed by the current zoning.

This is the reason, everything inside 440 should be upzoned. There really is no good reason to have anything less than R10 inside the beltline. At least it would have allowed all townhomes on this parcel and about 50% more units.

10 Likes

That’s neat looking!

2 Likes

They have started clearing the trees for this project. Live in the area and have hear/seen several trees fall in the distance while taking my dog out.

7 Likes

I realize there’s cost consideration but it’s too bad these big housing communities can’t keep some of the old trees. It would add a lot of aged character to the new community.

6 Likes

With the houses so close together, you’d wind up killing the trees anyway. It’s just easier to plant new ones.

1 Like

I believe McConnell just spend a lot of $$$ doing upgrades.
(( chuckles, a side note I use to work with him when he was a software salesman ))

2 Likes