121 Fayetteville

According to there website:

http://prefoffice.com/portfolio/

121 Fayetteville street is
375,000 sq feet of total space
I wonder how much of that is office vs parking?

To compare this with there other building that they and Kane manage:

http://prefoffice.com/portfolio/

150 Fayetteville street/The Wells Fargo building is
550,000 sq feet
:thinking:

2 Likes

I hope it tapers UP from PNC. I’d love a new Tallest Building in Raleigh.

Edit: (I know it won’t - but I’m just making the example that I don’t think we need to assume PNC will be and should be Raleigh’s tallest forever)

3 Likes

What a Street-level disappointment. Then, you have all that material covering the deck. This is the first block of NC’s Main Street, it should not be parking decks on most of the east side. Our regulations requiring all this parking needs an update. We ubered to our hotel in downtown San Diego, rather than pay $50/day for parking at the nearby hotel lot, then ubered to the rental car pickup. Same in Denver. They had high price agreements for nearby parking, which you could pay for if you wanted. Not a problem. Even if this project is just a “floater”, the city’s parking requirements need revision. Where are the hotels? Parking requirements.

4 Likes

I am in complete agreement!
And I am unanimous in this!!! :joy:

1 Like

Totally agree! Without a variance, however, the council has essentially declared that nothing can ever be taller than PNC, since they chose a max-out height of 500’ that is shorter than PNC. So, I assume when those same folks say “taper,” they are always imagining tapering down from PNC. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Good point. We most definitely need changes to the height restrictions (as in, no restrictions to max heights) and to echo @Buck, to the ridiculous parking requirements.

2 Likes

As much as I agree with the parking requirements… Last week our office was considering moving downtown, of basically only 2 or 3 buildings downtown, parking isn’t provided. We were then told McLaurin parking had a 4 month waiting period for 1 spot. With me being the only employee living downtown, and not having the most consistent transit system, that became an immediate no for everyone.
We just find ourselves in a weird pickle of needing to provide parking.

5 Likes

Agree, is there any way in wildest dreams to get the Sloowwww CC to make a quick change to requirements, as before building permit is asked for, to say no above ground parking or parking entrances facing Fayetteville St. May also give variance on parking requirements for building along Fayetteville St.

1 Like

That had a lot to do with us picking new office space and leaving Fayetteville. And I’m the only one in the office that also lives downtown. In Charter Square we only got enough passes in the main garage there for 1/4 of our employees. The rest had to walk from the garage over at Wilmington and Hargett (Marbles garage). It is a real deficiency especially if they don’t build more condos. Many of the professionals that work in those offices want to own and there’s an obvious deficiency of ownership opportunities. So they drive.

11 Likes

Wanting to own and live in/near downtown without buying a detached SFH was a major driver for us buying our place over in Blount St Commons. At the time, there was very little stock of anything like a condo or townhome in the area. When my neighbors have sold, their places don’t stay on the market for long (unless they try to overvalue them like a few have in the past).

5 Likes

@OakCityDylan & @Tenkai
Developers are really dropping the ball on ownership opportunities downtown. There just isn’t enough coming on the market that’s reasonable. It seems that every new project ratchets up the prices. If a developer could build a product consisting of $350K 2-2 condos, even without high end finishes and amenities, I think that they’d sell them every day of the week.
Oddly enough, the escalation of pricing on new units doesn’t seem to effect existing product pricing as much, and there’s still opportunities to be had in resales. It’s just a matter of getting people to sell…easier said than done, it seems.

11 Likes

I agree. You can buy 2/2 for $350ish today, but there needs to be more to gain mass appeal. Also, I think people have a hard time understanding the value proposition of the monthly dues. As stated before, I won’t call them a bargain but if you do the analysis it’s a fair deal. On the surface, they sound really high. You gotta dig into the numbers.

5 Likes

I’d never want to live in the middle of downtown at my age, but if DTR ever gets biotech companies, I’d love to live in one of the semi-affordable neighborhoods on the outskirts like Maywood or what-have-you.

2 Likes

I bought in Village of Pilot Mill (103 SFHs behind WPU) in 2009. Awesome concept of zero lot line homes and a great neighborhood. All have two car garages. Essentially downtown. Walkable and much more so with what’s happening at Seaboard. Prices have skyrocketed to say the least. I wish I had bought 100 of them :smile: Not sure the concept can be duplicated.

5 Likes

Also illustrates a great deficiency in mass transit.

4 Likes

Not sure, I believe most of it is a sort of mix-used and a lot of office space. In the villages and towns it’s a lot of hotels/accommodations.

1 Like

You can tell that Raleigh is still in its infancy when it comes to grasping condos and HOA dues. I totally agree with you. I’ve had many friends freak out when they learn that my dues are over $400 a month. Then I ask them to consider the costs of having their own pool, a party room, a gym, and a secured storage unit all separately. I then explain that it covers the base building insurance, the maintenance of the building, the landscaping, the cleaning, the security system, and it puts money away monthly for big ticket items that need to be replaced on a long term cycle. It then becomes easier for people to wrap their heads around it. I think that the fees are reasonable to pay to get the lifestyle that I want to have, and I’m paying a mortgage toward my ownership and realizing gains each year as the value increases.
I will say one thing, don’t ever trust a developer’s initial HOA fee schedule when a building is being sold new. The dues will always go up in the first couple of years as the building settles into its finances.

9 Likes

The other thing that is in my dues and I think in yours too @John is the temperature-conditioned water that is provided for my geothermal heat pump. I’m always heating and cooling with 70°ish water as opposed to 30° outside air in the winter or 95° outside air in the summer. Many people don’t understand this cuts your utility bills way down. My total utility monthly bill averages in the $80s. And it always feels good in my unit. This configuration also eliminates the 170 compressors that would need to go somewhere outside (roof) and I suspect will make our HVAC units last longer than the traditional model.

6 Likes

@ScrantonUSC
Thank you so much for finding this! :blush::+1:t2:

@nipper.dwight
Have you or your “friends/associates” seen this project come through the city’s pipeline as of yet?
I would be very interested to know how far along this actually is or it’s current state…Thank you! :blush::blush:

5 Likes

My friend has not heard anything about this project yet . He is looking into this & if I hear any info. , I’ll let you know . Thanks Again for your info . on the TBJ latest article on DowntownSouth !

4 Likes