2019 Fairview - Five Points

ITB Insider has posted about “2019 Fairview”

"Condos could be coming soon near Five Points, replacing a two-story office building on Fairview Road.

Designed by Winstead Wilkinson Architects, site review plans refer to the project as “2019 Fairview,” most likely because the address of the property is 2019 Fairview Road. The plans call for a three-story condo building containing five units."

Anyone have any additional information on this? Is it real?

4 Likes
4 Likes

Interesting…

Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Not surprising, there are already a couple condos adjacent to that site.

1 Like

It seems to me that, by that plot of land, the townhouses are not going to face the street. If so, that’s rather disappointing because the uninterrupted row of townhouses is a much better “brownstone” model that the driveway interrupted models we’ve seen lately.

1 Like

True but kudos to the developer capitalizing on a quarter acre with only 79 feet street facing

4 Likes

Yeah I don’t get that either. I’ve see a few like that, including going up by my house, with these clusters of brownstone marketed townhomes around a parking lot or alley. Completely ruins the row house look that they market

1 Like

Luckily the end unit facing Fairview Rd. “Unit E” has a rather grand front entrance directly off the sidewalk of Fairview. Rd.

Also when comparing these units to the 3 giant homes next door. Each one has it’s own separate single drive-way dividing them. So in comparison they will all have a similar curb affect and feel very similar.

1 Like

What are the odds that the City will reject the proposal, and ask for something more in line with the other two recently built condo buildings next door? I agree that whatever goes on this property needs to face the street. I have no say, but I think cramming in townhouses in a neighborhood like this is a crime.

1 Like

Not that long ago, these guys on Lane split the difference nicely with street facing units and back of lot units. Cool neo industrial exterior too.

2 Likes

I have a friend who owns one of those units that faces Lane. They’ve been there longer than you might think: like 20+ years.

1 Like

Yeah, thats recent in my world. 1999 they were completed. I’ve been downtown since 1992 and watching it all go down since that point in time

3 Likes

I started my DT adventure when I first moved into the Bishop’s Park area in 1987, then to the Cotton Mill in 1996. So, I hear ya. I’ve watched it all unfold since.

3 Likes

Spoke with the owner of the service station in 5 points. Casey is moving to wake forest road just down from Capital Creations so he will still be close by which is great.

Sounds like building is for sale.

Didn’t take long after Corchiani sold Marathon for $3.1MM

3 Likes

I would love to see something built at actual Five Points (not the neighborhood a mile east down Whitaker Mill) that is not an auto oriented bank or something equivalent. Not asking for skyscrapers, just something that expands the walkable district. It’s such a nice spot but I fear the NIMBY quotient is so high, and that the neighborhood will fight change so hard that there is no shot at anything nice ever being built there. They would probably support single story retail, but land values are so jacked up that there’s no way to make that pencil out. A four or five story apartment with ground-level retail would be a good addition, but I’m not holding out hope. They would probably cry out about “gentrification” when, truth is, it’s already near the top of the list of Raleigh’s most expensive, exclusive neighborhoods.

10 Likes

The zoning only allows for 3 stories where the current shop is located so that’s probably all you are going to get on that spot.

If someone could buy the BP/Lonerider you might get 4 because there is only a school parking lot behind it but I even think that would a stretch as the neighborhood would never go for it for fear 4 stories would become precedent all the way around the intersection

3 Likes

Hell, I’d love even a 3 story apartment/condo building with ground floor retail at Five Points though- everything around there is pretty much single-story. So I’m completely with @orulz but would be happy with anything more than a single-story bank hahaha

4 Likes

I would LOVE to see a massive reinterpretation of that small shopping center where the Walgreens is. Even if it’s kept to 3 stories, there’s a lot that you can do with that property, including the two story building at the point of the property. I’d love to see it as a mixed use neighborhood center without parking on the ground level.

8 Likes

I’d be fine with three stories too tbh, but right now that 3 story limit is serving not to alter the form of development into something more neighborhood-friendly, but to suppress development outright.

It would be hard to make an urban-format mixed use development pencil out at three stories with land values such as they are in 5 points. And there is enough possible downside from NIMBYs managing to torpedo any proposal with unreasonable demands, and not enough potential upside at just 3 stories, that I would guess developers are just staying away.

Honestly the only way I could see it working out is with a publicly financed parking structure as part of the development program. That would provide both some financial motivation, as well as a near-guarantee of city support. That has been discussed at some point, but I have no idea how realistic it is, nor the potential timelines.

In a neighborhood like Five Points, I can see an argument for parking minimums more than I can see it for somewhere like downtown or Hillsborough Street. Still not sure I support it outright, but at least I’m not vehemently opposed.

4 Likes

Five Points intersection is one of the most disappointing places ITB. So much potential for that to be a very cool area and it is (mostly) wasted

6 Likes