213 South Harrington / SE Corner of Hargett-Harrington / Former Goodwill building

Me, too. My small section of the neighborhood is zoned for schools in the farthest reaches of Cary just inside 540.

1 Like

No he means this same site work:
Was followed up with this rendering:
Almost 3 weeks apart

4 Likes

Yes! Curious if the 213 Harrington events follow this.

3 Likes

Blergh I completely misread that. I shouldnā€™t do anything before I have my coffee in the morning.

2 Likes

I still wanted to reply to it, I just didnā€™t know how. :smile:

1 Like

My reporter, who has been closely following the developments on this block for personal reasons, informs me that staff working at the GCF store on Hargett tell him that the store will be closing down for good on Saturday, June 1. That would seem to portend that there are likely going to be some changes coming soon to this block.

6 Likes

Interestingā€¦ 213 South Harrington footprint itself would not interfere with the GFC store it seems

1 Like

I can confirm that the GCF store is now closed. GCF and an LLC own a total of .91 acres here. This plus 213 S. Harrington St. (which is .15 acres owned by the Dillon) cover roughly the northwest quadrant of the block bounded by Hargett, Harrington, Martin and Dawson.

I canā€™t say for certain, obviously, whether these two development are related, but itā€™s certainly interesting timing. If you combine the two holdings you get a very attractive corner property on which to build something tall. You could see where that might be more attractive than trying to build 20 stories on .15 acres. Youā€™d really have a lot to work with here. (The city of Raleigh owns .85 acres running further south on Harrington St.)

6 Likes

And the City has been marketing that land sort of on the DL.

Looks like they sold the property:

3 Likes

The press release doesnā€™t mention to whom the land was sold. Iā€™m sure weā€™ll find out before very long, but boo.

If the Goodwill plot is combined with 213 S Harrington, seems likely that a shorter building goes up. Instead of 20 floors on 0.15 acres, probably end up with a 10-12 floor building on the 1 acre site. Smaller lot would push a more unique design, curious if they would do they same if larger plot.

1 Like

Well - now we knowā€¦ Highwoods bought the Goodwill property. 321 &327 W. Hargett Street for $6.4M.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article232828772.html

6 Likes

Ahh, so it will sit empty for years, I guess.

4 Likes

Sounds like you know how Highwoods operatesā€¦Lol :wink::blush:
Could you imagine a Raleigh were Highwoods were like John Kane but then took it a step further and actually bought properties, worked with other designers and developers and built truly unique, thoughtful, and perhaps even beautiful buildings? And in doing so, helped to elevate NCā€™s state capital into something more than just a city with square buildings and a street name of Capital Blvd, but maybe a capital with a beautiful blvd and inspiring buildings? As in the stateā€™s motto: ā€œto be, rather than to seemā€?

6 Likes

Not that I expect a responseā€¦

6 Likes

Well, not getting a response would mate well with the actual development brand, so thereā€™s that.

3 Likes

Youā€™re all wrong. They will demolish it all first *then let it sit undeveloped for years while collecting some parking revenue from it.

1 Like

Based on ~30k square foot siteā€¦ maybe 1st floor retail, 4-5 levels of parking, and 5-7 levels of office??

The parking is the part I canā€™t figure out. Any idea how they would lay out the deck? It would be much easier for them if they also picked up the small Dillon Supply Co lot at 213 S Harrington.