213 South Harrington / SE Corner of Hargett-Harrington / Former Goodwill building

I have a vacate 5ac mountain top lot that county taxes it based on the million $ houses around it as if it has one also.

1 Like

I agree its terrible, I actually ran this by the Raleigh city council, I can promise you MAB is the the kind of Mayor that doesnā€™t like to see this kind of stuff smh, but I donā€™t know if the city can really do anything about it at this juncture in time.

Both are fine, but I like putting office buildings near Union Station and adding to the emerging high rise district on the west half of downtown.

7 Likes

I agree. The center of development gravity downtown is not on Fayetteville St. While it may be Raleighā€™s ceremonial axis, the functional ā€œcenterā€ of downtown is somewhat west of there.

2 Likes

I would choose the original lot for the Edison and would want something of a similar height on this block. Iā€™m fine with it going to either imo.

I feel like you canā€™t go wrong either way since both sites are adjacent to major transit hubs (Union Station for this one, Moore Square for the Edison lot).

2 Likes

Yeah I just saw your post and I feel like bringing in people from commuter rail at Union Station to a big office tower at the 213 Harrington site would be pretty cool.

This is definitely true today, but I quite honestly wonder whether that will still be true 20-25 years from now. At some point, development is going to start creeping east, and once it does, it might pick up speed quickly.

Thereā€™s still more opportunity on the west side of Fayetteville than the east side. I donā€™t see a fundamental shift in the next quarter Century. Itā€™s simply a matter of when you run into SFH neighborhoods, which happens quicker on the east side.

1 Like

Thereā€™s plenty of opportunity on the East sideā€¦lots is undeveloped and underdevelopedā€¦

Going to be a lot sooner than you think

Especially the DMV lot. I think the State will put that up For Sale this fall.

3 Likes

Yeah, I get that, but moving east of Fayetteville Street, one hits single family homes quicker than moving west. Not taking anything away from development on the east side.

2 Likes

Feels like Dawson/McDowell is the center now. Sort of makes sense in the modern situation of those being the high capacity vehicle pair in and out of town. Then you have two walkable districts on either sideā€¦the Fayetteville/Capital half and the Glenwood/Warehouse side. Maybe its the new ā€˜best addressā€™ competition from back when Hillsborough St and Blount St were duking it out.

5 Likes

So nothing is going to be built here but a parking lot?

1 Like

Apparently not for the time beingā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s no surprise to me.

2 Likes

Not a surprise, but still a disappointment.

2 Likes

Well, I think itā€™s mostly speculation at this point, but the ownerā€™s track record kind of points in that direction.

3 Likes

What do you see?

8 Likes

Some blue graffitiā€¦

5 Likes