VeLa Longview - 220 East Morgan St - Marbles Parking lot

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/06/26/downtown-raleigh-lot-prepped-for-development.html

According to TBJ looks like lot on west side of federal building may be developed

Downtown Raleigh lot could become 20-story tower

:The owners of a parking lot in downtown Raleigh are prepping it for a tower up to 20 stories as they say developer interest is strong."

13 Likes

DUDE, I litterally was about to post this. haha

This is a triangular shaped parcel north of Marbles and across Person Street west of the federal building (220 E Morgan)

14 Likes

YaY — I finally got to post a new topic/ :joy:

16 Likes

Great job! LOL

I actually saw this pop up on the Raleigh Wire a few days ago but didn’t think there was much to it. I don’t think it’s a rezoning request so I just figured it was something silly. Guess not! Love it!

1 Like

"The rezoning request currently comes with no development or design plan, and Gordon Smith said that will be up to a future buyer. He said he and his wife hope to find a developer with a good vision for the land.

“We’ll sell it for development with the best proposal we see,” Smith said. “It’s time for me and Beverly to do what’s best for this property for the next 50 years.”"

Sounds Legit

13 Likes

With it being a triangular shaped parcel, this may be an opportunity for an interesting architectural design for Raleigh.

10 Likes

Looks like from your information, it may not be as big a deal as thought from TBJ headline and teaser. Unfortunately I can no longer see details of reports :frowning: So change topic name to " Potential new 20 story building"

2 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking. Could be super iconic if it’s done well. Plus there will be a BRT stop on the western corner of the property. Lot of potential here.

4 Likes

I wasn’t replying to downplay your post, I’m actually really excited the owners are deciding to do the appearance committee’s job for them and selling to the best proposal. I’m hoping for a building like this I saw in London a few months ago, although larger.

10 Likes

the black friar! this pub is awesome, hope you went in for a pint or two.

1 Like

Oh, don’t be surprised if Leo (@dtraleigh) comes through and smashes your dreams. He’ll say, until something happens with this, we’ll just move it to the General News Thread or Affordable Housing.
:rofl:

jk, Leo, mad respect for ya

4 Likes

DTRaleigh is on the job! I was coming to post this and there is already a new thread with several replies.

Great spot for a new tower, though it is likely a long time before anything actually goes here.

Only slight downside is that something here would likely preclude expansion of Marbles, but that doesn’t seem very likely anyway with their finances being impacted by Covid and i think lower tax support than previously anticipated.

1 Like

Marbles expansion plans are already in the works for the courtyard and 2 story brick building across the courtyard. I think it was 5-7 floors? But yes, think it might be delayed.

3 Likes

No doubt that that is a cool building but with this being the 21st century, how about this as a design starting point?

9 Likes

Someone out there get Hobgood on the project, stat! :innocent:

3 Likes

Will be interesting to see how they build a triangular parking pedestal. :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

Actually, I’ll admit that I’m using the General News thread as a dumping ground for noisey topics. Call it moderation artistry. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Ooo I like this :clap:t4::clap:t4: I hope this project actually happens

1 Like

This rezoning request from DX-7-UG to DX-20-UG-CU just hit the wire:

8 Likes

Raleigh Historic Development Commission’s Agenda for July 21 includes the rezoning for 220 E. Morgan St. & The Creamery on Glenwood Ave .

7 Likes